Normal Topic What you know and what you don't... (Read 2592 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

What you know and what you don't...
07/01/07 at 05:33:07
Quote Print Post  
Let's face it, NOBODY is an expert in all the bass fishing techniques and lures available to anglers today, but let me ask you this...

1) What one technique or lure are you the most confident with?  If you had something to teach someone else who was new to bass fishing, or teach a seminar, what would you have most to share about?

2)  What one techique or lure is foreign to you?  What's the next bass fishing tool on your list of things to learn?

3)  Is there a technique or lure you used to throw successfully but somehow got away from over the years because of the latest new lure craze?

Personally, I love throwing crankbaits - and could talk about them all day!  I'd rather catch a fish on cranks than any other lure; shallow, med-range, or deep.

But I know nothing about these new swim baits, and don't even know where to start.  They're next on my list.  But so many choices and so many questions about where and when to throw them.

And lastly, I used to be a grub guru - threw them 75% of the time quite successfully.  Especially on a carolina rig.  But I haven't picked either of these up in years because of other plastics and drop-shotting techniques.  

What about you?

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: What you know and what you don't...
Reply #1 - 07/01/07 at 20:45:33
Quote Print Post  
1. well i would have to say that i probably feel most comfortable with a jighead in my hands, whether it be a grub, tube, whatever.  i feel that that will always put fish in the boat when smallie fishing.
2. ok this one is a tie.  i would also love to figure out some swimbaits stuff like rev mentioned, but as much as i hate to say this, spinnerbait fishing never produces for me and i have have practically no confidence when i throw one.  even though i know fish love em.
3. when i started bass fishing when i was like 14-15 we used to slay bass on floating rapalas especially the perch colored one.  i dont even have one in the boat now.

troy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/07 at 00:44:02
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

I have confidence in all techniques except swim baits. I personally started throwing plastics back in the early 70's as my first lures, then top waters,cranks, and spinner baits. But swim baits I have not put much time in and plan on doing it at Roosevelt here in the next 3 weeks.

I also plan on throwing these baits next year on a regular basis to build confidence with them as a go to bait. I think they would produce more for people if they would just stick to throwing them.

Russ

IP Logged

Justin
Forum Member

"I caught you a delicious
bass'

Reply #3 - 07/02/07 at 07:37:50
Quote Print Post  
1) What one technique or lure are you the most confident with?  If you had something to teach someone else who was new to bass fishing, or teach a seminar, what would you have most to share about?

Drop Shot & Buzz Bait

2)  What one techique or lure is foreign to you?  What's the next bass fishing tool on your list of things to learn?

Not foreing to me but I need to build confidence in deep water carolina rigging. Using an 1/2 ounce weight with a lizard or 6' worm. I think the problem with this is I have never had a sonar to find bottom structure and fish.

3)  Is there a technique or lure you used to throw successfully but somehow got away from over the years because of the latest new lure craze?

I stick to the basics. All the fancy lures don't entice me. I caught quantity and quality fish the same way before when they did not exist. But I would have to say jitter bug, rapala, Mepps. Thats what I started bass fishing with.

So anyone wanna give me a lesson on sonars? Im gonna purchase one in the next few weeks.

THX

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo