Normal Topic WBC Jamboree and other ramblings (Read 3577 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

WBC Jamboree and other ramblings
05/29/07 at 02:45:54
Quote Print Post  
Well, we finished in fifth place as a club at the 36th annual jamboree at Banks Lake this week-end.  We had five anglers in the top twenty and Brian Walker finished in sixth place overall I believe.  Paige Jarrell finished in third place for her age division.  Way to go, Paige!!  She was SO excited to go up on stage.  WBC by far had the most anglers in attendance.  We had thirty members from our club fishing this year.  I don't ever recall such a turnout.   Weather was good, until Monday of course, with post frontal conditions and a STIFF west/northwest wind making commuting to and from the blast off at Coulee Playland interesting to say the least.  Six foot rollers were not uncommon around Steamboat on the drive back into the ramp today.  Some of our fellow members equipment suffered too.  Dave Hendrickson and Brian Walker will have some work to do before they fish again.  A highlight was hearing Clay Dyer speak at the raffle.  You  may have seen Clay on TV.  He is fishing the pro circuit and was born without arms and legs.  He is an amazing man.  Smiley
I have too add that, if we were a federation club, WBC would own how and which direction bass fishing, including youth programs, conservation and tournaments,  will be going in Washington state for the coming years.  We have an outstanding group of people in our club and the energy and passion for the resource is far and above any other club in the state just in shear numbers.  You belong to the best bass fishing club in the state and you should be very happy about that.  You all understand better than most that bass fishing is more than just a tournament and that those wonderful fish are a treasure to share with generations.  What a great time.  Cool

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: WBC Jamboree and other ramblings
Reply #1 - 05/29/07 at 17:09:04
Quote Print Post  
Sounds excellent, Kirk. Thanks for the update!

Many congratulations to Paige and Brian!

I can't wait to hear stories from other folks. I am glad to hear that everyone made it back on Monday safely, despite boat damage. I certainly sympathize with the boat damage, as one of my old tubs in the past suffered a pretty good beating from a Banks Lake Memorial Day west wind.

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 05/30/07 at 02:09:36
Quote Print Post  
Actually, it was 7 members in the top 20, and Walker took 7th.  Chuck Bailey, Jim R., Henry and Angie Dover, Mike Stahlman, and David Hendrickson were also in the top 20.

Way to go!

IP Logged

Hooter
WBC Member

topwater under a full
moon

Reply #3 - 05/30/07 at 03:21:05
Quote Print Post  
I had a blast! Didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, but I made it through thanks to alot of help from people in the club. I would really like to say THANK YOU to Brian, Larry, and Jim R. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   Without you and the others I would never made it. My son Zachary is now hooked on smallies. He had never cought one before this weekend. This I owe to Brian for putting me on fish. Larry we both owe you for the use of a longer extension cord to charge our BTRY's and a place to park. I can tell time because Jim found my watch, Thanks. And to all the members there that put up with all my questions a very humble Thank you! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley This weekend showed me and my family what a GREAT CLUB this is.                                                                                                                                 Tight Lines Nightbasser

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!           I fish because the voices in my head tell me too.
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/30/07 at 03:29:52
Quote Print Post  
Hard to believe, but I've been in the club 15 years and this was my first Jamboree.  I had a great time, and got to know a few more of the newer members and all I can say is - we DO have a great club!  Great people, great fishing, great food, great weekend.  

We also had some great wind on day three!  I turned at Steamboat to head out to Barker Flats (where all my smallies had come from the first two days) and hit those huge waves so hard that the bunge holding all my rods down popped open and all my rods went flying to the back of the boat - it took me 20 minutes to untangle all the lines.  And when you only have a couple of hours to fish, that hurts!  Mother nature decided my little boat wasn't going to make it out like all the big boats did, so I went into the Devil's Punch Bowl and caught largemouth - but unlike the first two days, none of the fish went over 17 inches!   So I headed across to the bridge (next to the road) and found the fish concentrated on the edge of the old submerged road bed where it dropped off from 14 to 18 feet.  Of course I discovered this with only 1/2 hour left and stuck 5 fish but only got 4 in the boat.  I'd have traded my best rod for 10 more minutes - but alas, time ran out and I dropped from 11th on the second day to16th on the third day.  It was one of those "would of, could of, should of" experiences that teach you a lot but at great expense!  Well, as they say - that's fishing!  

I made some great memories this weekend!  Special thanks to Kirk and Nick for helping me to launch my boat!  Thanks to all the good cooks on Saturday night - the food was great!  Congratulations to Brian Walker, and a special hat goes off to Angie who whacked em three days in a row!

By the way, where would I look to see the results of the Jamboree?  Does it ever get posted anywhere?  177 anglers, 90+ boats - what a gathering!  I'm trying to imagine the Haydays when there were 160 or more boats!  I can't imagine it!  Must have been quite an experience.
« Last Edit: 05/31/07 at 20:35:38 by »  

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/30/07 at 14:44:19
Quote Print Post  
It was A lot of fun, I really enjoyed it as it was my fist Jamboree as a boater. I had a 3 day bag of about 15 pounds. I struggled to find quality fish, though, all around, fishing 3 out of my boat, we had quality fish here and there.

I whacked the crap out of small fish all week, but as usual for Banks, finding the bigger ones were tough, on the last day I fished the north roadbed in Devils punchbowl, hooked into a lot of fish, but coud not land a single one. I would have, like Chuck, traded some of my rods and reels to get some more time on Monday. Overall it was an awesome time and congrats to all the top 20 finishers, out club really made an impact. I believe our clubs total weight weighed more than 1/4 of the total weight for the tourney.

Oh yeah, it was totally worth waiting out the wind and rain to listen to CLAY DYER speak, he is one of the most insprirational people I have ever met and just by meeting with him and talking to him for a little bit. He certainly changed the way I look at things.

IP Logged

LaRoja
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 05/31/07 at 19:28:42
Quote Print Post  
Here is the web page for results:
http://www.wabass.org/jamboree.htm

There were 96 boats, Western had 31 adult anglers.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo