Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Weedless wacky hooks (Read 8278 times)
kelleybob
Ex Member

Weedless wacky hooks
05/23/07 at 13:18:02
Quote Print Post  
Need some help from someone out there with a better memory than mine!  SadI had ordered some weedless wacky hooks online a couple years ago. They had a similar bend to the Falcons but were available in smaller sizes and had two stiff mono/fourocarbon weedgards tied in...not wire. I really like these but can't for the life of me remember where I got them or the brand. Lost my hardrive a year ago and of course had them bookmarked there! If anyone out there has a clue what these are and where to order them I would really appreciate the help!  Smiley

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Weedless wacky hooks
Reply #1 - 05/23/07 at 13:56:38
Quote Print Post  
Reaction Innovations quit making them early last year due to the expense involved. Sad  They were the best thing going for flippin weightless Senkos into the Tulies.  I managed to stock up on some prior to their cessation.  However, I am starting to get a little low on my supply.  Owner Hooks makes a baitholder model (http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/products/hooks/downshotsystem.htm)

that is very similar and I'll try them next. although I'm afraid they are going to be too small for Senkos.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/07 at 14:19:29
Quote Print Post  
Guys

Mustad makes a weedless-weighted hook(1/32oz).

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=2145&CATID=57

This hook is great for wacky rigs.

Daryl

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 05/23/07 at 16:18:23
Quote Print Post  
How much weight is on the hook Daryl?  Could it be easily removed with a pair of dykes or sidecutters? Huh

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 05/23/07 at 19:06:01
Quote Print Post  
Smitty

It is 1/32oz. perfect for pitching and flipping. Yes the weight can be removed with a pair of cutters.

Daryl

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 05/23/07 at 22:23:12
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Daryl.  I saw the weight after I posted but I was still wondering if the weight could be easily removed.
I might have to get some.  Just don't tell my sponsors at Owner!  Har Smiley

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/23/07 at 22:38:59
Quote Print Post  
I found a less expensive alternative.

I bought some Gamakatsu KAHLE Hook (Same hook used in Falcon Wacky K), then asked around the fly shop at OE and got some Tungsten Putty.

I just put dab of it on the hook and its good to go, no weedguard.  Its reuasable so you can just take the putty off.
I was thinking about using some of the Gamma Leader Flourocarbon at like a 60# Test and tying it to the hook to make a weedguard. Might work.

Gamakatsu also makes the finesse wide gap weedless wacky hook. It has a black, flourocarbon like weedguard.

IP Logged

kelleybob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/24/07 at 12:03:35
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Smitty...I'm sure these were the hooks I was thinking of...so sad they're not made anymore...at least there are several other good hooks to choose from!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/30/07 at 22:26:47
Quote Print Post  
Whenever I skip wacky rigged under docks or under overhangs, I use a number 4 Gamakatsu G-lock hook ( if I run out I've used number 2 as well) - it's small enough that it rarely hangs up but big enough for a 5" senko's bulk.

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/14/07 at 17:17:01
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I found a less expensive alternative.

I bought some Gamakatsu KAHLE Hook (Same hook used in Falcon Wacky K), then asked around the fly shop at OE and got some Tungsten Putty.

I just put dab of it on the hook and its good to go, no weedguard.  Its reuasable so you can just take the putty off.
I was thinking about using some of the Gamma Leader Flourocarbon at like a 60# Test and tying it to the hook to make a weedguard. Might work.

Gamakatsu also makes the finesse wide gap weedless wacky hook. It has a black, flourocarbon like weedguard.

Nick,
I don't know about you, but I have lost way too many fish on the new Gamakatsu Wide Gap Wacky Rig Hook. I thought it was just me, but it was confirmed when a touring pro buddy of mine quit using them for the same reason....

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/14/07 at 21:08:48
Quote Print Post  
Ya, the Gamakatsu weedless Wacky rig hook would be better in a heavy cover drop shot rig. But the Kahle hook, I have never had problems with. Flacon Lures makes the weedless/weighted Kahle Hook.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #11 - 06/15/07 at 22:13:55
Quote Print Post  
Won't buy the gamakatsu weedless wacky hooks anymore.  Missed a lot of fish on.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 06/27/07 at 19:15:53
Quote Print Post  
For anyone looking to buy the Falcons. 

http://www.fishingworld.com/FalconLures/Details.tmpl?ID=10243676811008277&Cart=1...

Don't sell them out, I haven't tryed them yet  Wink  They have the weighted also.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #13 - 06/27/07 at 20:47:50
Quote Print Post  
Too big.  Need no larger than a 2/0 and preferably with a split open Heavy duty mono weed guard.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #14 - 06/27/07 at 22:03:43
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Smitty.  I'll take your word for it.  I don't wacky rig senkos much so I'm unsure on which to try out.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo