Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) swivels on your dropshot? (Read 7606 times)
Troy
Ex Member

swivels on your dropshot?
04/22/07 at 22:03:30
Quote Print Post  
i have heard of people using swivels above there dropshot to eliminate line twist.  anyone out there doin this cause i would think it may effect the way your bait falls on slack line.  just wondering how many do it.

troy

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Re: swivels on your dropshot?
Reply #1 - 04/22/07 at 22:08:45
Quote Print Post  
Troy, I have tried it and will still use it if I use pre-tied drop shot rigs (Gamakatsu) only.  Otherwise I don't.  It comes in handy if fishing alot of the drop shots under tournament conditions (especially as a backseater as I do).  If I break it off I only loose the bottom portion below the swivel including the weight sometimes.  I can't say how it really effects the fall.  I use the smallest sampo brand swivel I can find that will aid me.  It does keep away line twist for me also.  Good luck and let's see what others do.

Chuck P

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 04/23/07 at 13:48:43
Quote Print Post  
Use a levelwind with Gamma 6' flourocarbon and don't worry bout no steenkin line twist! Cool

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/07 at 23:02:23
Quote Print Post  
smitty, what action baitcaster you using for your dropshot? i also thought you would like to know that  I picked up some gamma the other day down at sportco.  we'll see if i'm am soon a believe as well.

troy

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 04/24/07 at 14:19:02
Quote Print Post  
I use a 6' 6" Shimano bait-casting rod that is designed specifically for the dropshot technique.  It has a medium action with a fast tip.  Here is the link to view it:

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolde...

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/24/07 at 18:46:47
Quote Print Post  
I am real impressed with that Gamma line. It works well.

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/24/07 at 19:55:10
Quote Print Post  
Must concurr with the Gamma line comments.  Call me a believer!!   Cool

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 04/24/07 at 22:38:19
Quote Print Post  
I'm glad you folks have had a good experience with the Gamma line.  I was made a believer in Mexico when I supplied 14lb test to everyone, and not one of us had a line failure in all that brush and standing timber that those toads like to pull you into when you make a hookup.
As a side-note, I have not been able to procure enough Fluorocarbon to make it worthwhile to do a promotion like I currently am with the club and ABA on the regular monofilament.
The 6lb flourocarbon that I have spooled on my Chronarch MG 51 for dropshotting has been pulled several times into docks etc without breaking. However, I can't say yet it's better than everything else on the fluorocarbon market yet.  It is remarkably supple and memory free.  I've had it spooled on that Chronarch since around Thanksgiving and there is virtually no line curl in it yet! Shocked
Please keep me informed as to your impressions with the line as the folks in Pittsburgh want to know the positive as well as the negative impressions.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/30/07 at 03:48:34
Quote Print Post  
Does Blakemore's Reel Magic work as well on Fluoro as on nylon monofils?

I have one rod rigged with a swivel, but it's an Arron Echterncamp Special Spinnin' Pitchin' rod (G.Loomis). The main line is Stren braid, and the leader is a Fluoro of some sort. The swivel is one of the tiny ones that comes with the Gary Yamamoto splitshot hooks.  I am thinking of putting one of the little fly fishing strike detectors on just above the swivel, to protect the tip guide. I have a hard time seeing the swivel. I tried all sorts of reels and line combos on this rod, and this is the first setup I like. The reel is a Stradic 2000 and the Stren braid is 20 lb. I was too busy to learn the correct splicing knot.  Embarrassed Steve

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Reply #9 - 11/30/07 at 05:42:30
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I am thinking of putting one of the little fly fishing strike detectors on just above the swivel, to protect the tip guide.

Good idea!  I have also seen some people using a bead above the swivel to protect the tip guide.

I use 6lb P-line cxx main line and a 6lb seaguar invisiX leader with a really small swivel.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #10 - 12/01/07 at 05:49:57
Quote Print Post  
I use 10lb power pro with either 6lb mono or 8lb flouracarbon 5ft leader without any swivels and don't have anymore line twist.  

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #11 - 12/01/07 at 06:44:26
Quote Print Post  
I've had a good year using drop shot and I've been experimenting to find what works best for me, I've used a swivle on braid to floro leader.  Found I had better luck this way with less line breakage over joining the braid and floro with a uni to uni knot.  I have more times this last yr trolled out my line in the lake when going slow for a while to un twist it and reel it back in.  Haven't used a swivel with straight mono or floro, why add two more knots (weak links) when ya don't have too.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/04/07 at 02:36:25
Quote Print Post  
Like most in this area, I've done a lot of "light C'rigging", often (wrongly) called "splitshotting" or "brass & glass" by those who don't want to give any useful information...

I always used 8 lb test monofil main line and 8 lb monofil leader. The main line gets all the wear of the sinker and glass bead, and yet it was always the leader that broke, when I got it hung up on an immoveable object. The leader was Berkley. I'm not tellin' what the main line was, unless you ask nice. But it surely wasn't a Berkley product.  Wink

And while I tried 'superline', it didn't work for me. When I went back to monofil, I started catching fish again. My conclusion was "sensory overload".  Undecided Steve
« Last Edit: 12/08/07 at 02:09:51 by »  

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #13 - 12/08/07 at 03:48:06
Quote Print Post  
No, I personally do not choose to use a swivel on my dropshot because when you give your line extra slack once your on the bottom  your bait will get pulled to the bottom by the swivel vs. a flutter as it falls presitation. If you choose to use braid with a bloodknot, a limber rod or one with a soft tip is a good bet so you don't break off so many fish.  Brian (The Weedwalker)

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/08/07 at 05:20:11
Quote Print Post  
Line twist. If your getting this you have rigged your drop shot wrong. Huh Never have had this problem. Swivels I don't use just tie straight to it with flourocarbon and wha la. Wink

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo