Normal Topic 12v trolling motor to a 24v (Read 1298 times)
Troy
Ex Member

12v trolling motor to a 24v
02/20/07 at 00:03:48
Quote Print Post  
ok i need so questions answered before buying one of these things cause i dont want to light my boat on fire  Cheesy

i have a 2004 trackerpt175 and with the front panel removed the TM only has two wires running to the plug (however they are pretty heavy gauge wires).  my question is if its a 12/24 system would there be 4 wires?  if not can i run a 24v system on the two wires alone without frying fuses?  my boats manual is pretty vague so i was hoping someone here is a wiring guru.  thanks for any info at all.

troy

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Re: 12v trolling motor to a 24v
Reply #1 - 02/20/07 at 00:58:23
Quote Print Post  
If I am not mistaken, two wires is normal.  With two batteries being used, one lead from the positive terminal of battery #1 and one lead from the negative terminal of battery #2 should be running to your trolling motor. Then the batteries will be connected by the other two posts.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/07 at 03:58:54
Quote Print Post  
It depends on how you want to wire it up.  There are a couple of different ways depending on the type of mtor your have.  Some with the 12/24 switich would need both sets of wires.  Just 24 can use two or one set depending on the type of plug.  You probably will just need to run a jump wire from the pos. of one to the neg. of the other and then connect to two remaining to the existing wires.  They should be at least 8 guage.  Also make sure you have the circuit breaker or fuse in the circuit.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/20/07 at 04:06:28
Quote Print Post  
i think im just gonna go with a straight 24v minn kota maxxum and ya i already got a circuit breaker for it.  sweet thanks fellas

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo