Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New state record SM (Read 13035 times)
champ206
Forum Member

New state record SM
09/14/06 at 04:18:29
Quote Print Post  
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/story/8182071p-8075034c.html
You have to remember 9 lbs 32 oz., this in Kennewick and is pretty laid back. We do not have all the top news reporters, news anchors, crime rate or high living expenses. We do have to Columbia River
« Last Edit: 09/14/06 at 13:54:50 by champ206 »  

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Re: New state record SM
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 04:30:42
Quote Print Post  
I've never heard of a 9 pound, 32 ounce fish before.  What's up with that.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/06 at 04:31:33
Quote Print Post  
9 pound, 32 ounce.........?

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/14/06 at 05:15:07
Quote Print Post  
Figures a freakin' meat fisherman would steal the record!  A "jig-worm type bait"?  What the hell is that!?  Good grief, I am depressed about this Cry.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/14/06 at 15:04:08
Quote Print Post  
Hate to be judgemental but....DORK!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/14/06 at 16:39:28
Quote Print Post  
"It's a state record, it had to be mounted"

I never saw that in the book of bass angler ethics. Maybe some of us should start a replica mount company around here so people will keep these nice fish alive.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/06 at 16:44:15
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for passing that on, John! You are right, definitely not top news reporters... 32 ounces? A little quality control would be nice.

So was this thing 11 pounds? That would be friggin' gigantic.

I say more power to the guy that caught the fish. Big deal if he didn't release it. He pays his license fees, he's fished most of his life, and it sounds like he probably releases a lot of his fish. At least he kept the fish and there won't be any controversy around it being a record.

Kirk, it looks like you're going to have to look for a little bigger fish in Chelan now! HA! I wouldn't have guessed a state record from the lower Yakima, mainly because it gets so much pressure compared to other reaches of the Columbia drainage.

Chris
« Last Edit: 09/14/06 at 20:02:10 by »  

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/14/06 at 18:50:05
Quote Print Post  
Last I heard that was not going to be a record.  It says in the state rules any fish that has been frozen cannot be set in for a record, something like that.  It was in the freezer for 3 days from what I read elsewhere.  I also read they measured it length and girth and it came out to 6 1/2 lbs using the formula, but after freezing it was 9 lb.  We'll know for sure when it hits the real newspaper.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/14/06 at 21:05:54
Quote Print Post  
I thought 22 inches seemed short for a 9 lber

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/06 at 21:18:15
Quote Print Post  
Now that was some real lame writing. 32 Oz.? I am going to email the reporter that wrote the article. I noticed the email address at the bottom of the article. All I know is that if that fish was only 22 inches long I don't belive it would be a state record. I have never caught a 22 inch smallie but I have caught quite a few largies that long or slightly longer. Most of those fish at 22 inches weight right around 7 to 7-1/2 pounds. Unless they were caught right before the spawn and then they might be worth another 1/2 pound or so. I will be curious to see where this ends up. I will let you guys know if I get a response from the reporter. Good fishing all.......

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/14/06 at 21:42:16
Quote Print Post  
FYI Here is a copy of the Email I sent to the reporter. I will let you all know if I get a reply.

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:40:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Mark Chevrier" <racing1nascar@yahoo.com>  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert 
Subject: Record smallmouth bass.......?????
To: aking@tricityherald.com
    Anna,
       I am a member of the Western Bass Club forum. One of our members got a hold of your article and posted it a link to it on our forum. We are all real curious about this event. The weight stated in your article is 9 pounds 32 ounces. That can not be correct as there are 16 ounces in a pound. The members of the bass fishing community have a vested interest in the correct weight of this fish. Can you enlighten me as to what the real weight of the fish was? Do you know what the current status is of the claim to the state record? Any information you could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time,
                                                            Mark Chevrier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/15/06 at 03:32:59
Quote Print Post  
 Got home from work today to find a letter in the mail box.  friend of mine in Kennewick mailed me the article which was in the Tri City Herald - Sept 11.  The article says 7.32 pound fish, not 7 pound 32 ounce.  There is a pic of the fish and it is big.  It looks to be 7 - 8 pounds, so I guess 9 isn't out of the question.  The reporter is Anna King and her Email is aking@tricityherald.com.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #12 - 09/15/06 at 13:33:15
Quote Print Post  
That is the weight I heard being circulated among the anglers that were fishing the ABA NW Championship when I was down there last weekend. Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Corona1449
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/15/06 at 22:03:21
Quote Print Post  
Well thats the fish what do u guys think?

IP Logged

Corona1449
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/15/06 at 22:59:32
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Figures a freakin' meat fisherman would steal the record!  A "jig-worm type bait"?  What the hell is that!?  Good grief, I am depressed about this Cry.  

I think i have found the bait that he caught the fish on might have to try it next time the old JIG WORM TYPE BAIT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo