Normal Topic Best way to fish spinnerbaits (Read 2068 times)
kastin_kurt
Ex Member

Best way to fish spinnerbaits
05/26/06 at 23:56:05
Quote Print Post  
I've just started getting into bass again...so I've got a lot to learn and relearn.

Senkos, dropshot, split shot, reaction baits...it's all new to me since I quit freshwater when I moved to Tampa Bay.  Now I'm back in Northern California and trying to learn it all again.

Question is: how's the best way to fish a spinner bait?  Throw it and crank it back to the boat....or let it sink to the bottom then work it back to the boat in a series of lift and falls?

thanks for any advice you can give the "newby".  By the way, I fish empounded lakes and the Sacramento river, mostly.

Kastin Kurt

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Best way to fish spinnerbaits
Reply #1 - 05/31/06 at 21:56:45
Quote Print Post  
It depends on depth and structure. On the rocky reservoir style lake, you can let it fall and work it deeper. In shallower water, you can retreive it straight to the boat. I found that if that doesn't work, pop or jerk it every 10-15 ft or so. This sudden change in action will trigger strikes. Also in weedy water, you can pull it through the weeds with a hard snap or work it over the weeds letting the blades break the surface. All these changes from the standard chuck and wind will entice strikes. You can't really go wrong with a spinnerbait inside of 5-6 feet. If you throw it long enough, you'll get bit. I found in the clear rocky impoundments, find the clay banks typical in California and work the muddy water they produce. The wave action usually muds up the water on those banks. Bass will hold in the cloudy water since the rest of the water is so clear. Crankbaits and jerkbaits work good in these conditions too. Hope this helps some. When you talk about the Sac. river, are you referring to the Delta?

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/06 at 00:58:06
Quote Print Post  
do people here add a trailer to it?  not a hook, but a soft bait trailer to add more body?

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/06 at 05:20:30
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
do people here add a trailer to it?  not a hook, but a soft bait trailer to add more body?

thanks

Smiley

Yes definetly.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/14/06 at 23:36:36
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Yes definetly.

Smiley

thanks

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo