Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Swimbaits (Read 10881 times)
jwerner
Ex Member

Swimbaits
02/10/06 at 20:20:14
Quote Print Post  
   Anyone here use the Storm swimbaits or any others in western Wa lakes?  Each year I try out a new style of bait and am considering these.  Positives/ negatives.  SM /LM uses/scenarios.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Swimbaits
Reply #1 - 02/10/06 at 23:19:34
Quote Print Post  
This is something I am very interested in.  I bought a bunch of the Osprey baits from Tackle Warehouse and am planning on giving them a go.  I have a friend who got hooked on them and he says they are murder on big smallies and largies.  You may not get a ton of fish, but they have helped him with LARGE kicker fish.  I am looking at using the baby carp and the light hitch colors.  I did experiment with the Storm baits last summer during a family vacation in E. WA with some success, hence my excitement to give them a go with a bit more zest this coming season.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/06 at 00:36:41
Quote Print Post  
I too have pondered when and where these baits can shine. I won't spend too much time on them until I build confidence, but I will give them a try. I will have to see the right opportunity. A year ago I was fishing in November and I started throwing a small crankbait. My partner and I started catching small bass and them a lot of trout. All of a sudden I lay into a 6 pounder. Then 5 minutes later, another 4 1/2 -5. I think the fish were zoned around the school of trout.

That would have been a good time to throw a swimbait I think.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/11/06 at 00:45:31
Quote Print Post  
Yes, looking into the trout pattern baits to use on outside weedlines in trout stocked lakes.  Was at a lake last year using some Fin-S-Fish and would have 4 - 6lbs follow up real slow and lazy like.  However, when I caught a 8" bass I had a huge one come charging in toward the boat.  He's get 2' from the little bass I was reeling in and then lose interest.  I like the one of the Storm baits - with the hook on the top rather than the treble hook version.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/11/06 at 01:54:42
Quote Print Post  
I bought some Storm baits last weekend, they have a single hook on top, with a treble on the bottom.  First time I seen them.  Got them in a rainbow trout color, can't wait to use them  Wink

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/06 at 18:59:58
Quote Print Post  
From the amount of replys,seems as though not too many folks are interested.  That is perfect for me.  I seriously hope to uncover a pure fish catching secret here and spank'em good.  I suggest a trip this season, with just the swimbait tied up.  This would truly let us know if they are worth the time.  ANy takers want to "embark on a scientific mission?"  Just received more from Tacklewarehouse in the baby carp.  Can't wait.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/13/06 at 20:17:58
Quote Print Post  
These work at Roosevelt as well. Saw a guy catch a 6+ smallie on an Osprey swim bait there about a year ago.
Russ

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/14/06 at 02:14:23
Quote Print Post  
Hey Kirk, if we can get loose on the same weekend, I'm game! You want to do it during/before/or after the spawn? river or lake? Eastern or Western side? I'll probably see if I can round up a 5" perch, 6" trout, and a 4" bass.  Unless you talking about using those 9"+ swim baits, then it would be just picking a body of water that has alot of big bass in it. Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/06 at 02:48:29
Quote Print Post  
I know that there are rules against posting for advertisements, but wait until you see those swim baits that I sent for the raffle. The best colors, and they can be leadhead rigged for crawling (dragging) on the bottom now, or drop shot when the fish move up in March / April. They will be in the stores very soon........
Pass em around at the raffle.....

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/06 at 02:55:10
Quote Print Post  
Brian,

Got a link or a pic?

Jon Werner

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/22/06 at 03:12:27
Quote Print Post  
I will email you the link offline. I do not want to offend the admin. Anyway, go to the Panic Minnow (swim) for the small swimbaits.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/22/06 at 04:37:54
Quote Print Post  
How is a swimbait a swimbait when you are dragging and/or dropshotting?  Hmm...A swimbait is a 7" chuck of injection molded plastic. last I checked.

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/22/06 at 05:07:56
Quote Print Post  
Can you swim a jig? Well, ever try swimming a dropshot? Guess not. Want to swim in a specific depth, and maintain contact with the bottom, such as 36" off the bottom. Well, next time you are slowly pumping your drop shot, and not catching any fish, try swimming it back to the boat. Too many times everyone is stuck in the same rut with the same baits, when they need to experiment a little with the same baits. Just my opinion...
So it has to be 7" to be a swimbait, so if it is 6-1/2" and has the same general shad type swimtail, then it is not a swimbait.....you got me on that one.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #13 - 02/22/06 at 15:10:51
Quote Print Post  
I fished a tournament on Clear Lake last spring.  the winner of that "T" was slowly dragging a "6" swimbait on the bottom in about 12' of water.  Right Harley? Roll Eyes Oh and many of the baits are not injected molded plastic, but rather a soft pour. Shocked  I've got several of them ranging from 3" to 10" from numerous manufactures if ya want to see em.  Or just check with Scott about what he is using on Shasta to catch those very large Kentucky's in the spring.  I'll be using a couple them in the California Delta this coming April.

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/22/06 at 21:03:27
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,
I love it when you talk like that.  My swimbait is a "soft pour".  Is that opposed to a "hard pour"?  I think that you can get arrested in some third world countries for talking like that.  Speaking of Ramirez, where do you think I got the dang fooled notion that these things might actually work?  I throw'em out and wind them in.  I have not evolved to "drop-shotting" of jigging them.  No offense meant, just makes no sense to me.  The fish come from such great distances and depths to check these baits out, why bother dragging?  Heck, my arms already get tired after ten casts, anyway.  And hey, don't get all weird about WDFW and "move to another State".  What, you think California or any other "left" coast state is better.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo