Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lured by the Dark Side! (Read 10343 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Lured by the Dark Side!
10/25/05 at 19:01:16
Quote Print Post  
Well....it has happened...yet again.
I have been talked into going.....yes.....Fly Fishing.

Before you start writing me off......it is also an attempt to get myself out hiking and walking more for excercise while keeping fishing intact.
We will be going to the Yakima River with some experienced anglers who have done very well there so I will post a report.......a slimey report.......after we get back Thursday night.

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Re: Lured by the Dark Side!
Reply #1 - 10/25/05 at 19:08:28
Quote Print Post  
So no fish-in for you Larry?  Have fun.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/05 at 19:14:06
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

I to, yes I admit it fly fish as well. Its a blast to catch a fish on those itsy bitsy lures. Talk about finesse fishing, you guys all ought to try it. Fish the Deschutes River in Oregon two to three times a year and have caught several over 2 lbs and a million under 8-10 inches. I have a cabin in Sunriver just a mile from the river.

We rent the cabin out year around. The season starts in June and goes until Labor day or so.

Wish you the best of luck Larry,
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/25/05 at 19:19:01
Quote Print Post  
That's fun stuff and a fun time to go to the Yakima, Larry. Enjoy yourself!!!

Chris

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/05 at 04:24:27
Quote Print Post  
not only did i used to flyf fish i used to tie flies.  it is alot of fun.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/26/05 at 15:00:07
Quote Print Post  
It is really amazing how once one of these "closet SLIMERS" comes out then suddenly there everywhere.

As Larry would say E-E-E-W-W-W-...

Wait a minute.  Who started this thread?  Oh my... wait a minute...I used to fish the "BIG slimers" Grin 

Boy those trout and salmon are beautiful fish.  And as much as I like the feel of a nice 3-4# bass on the line there is still a lot to be said about a 15# silver running or a 30# King throbbing your line.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/05 at 15:07:43
Quote Print Post  
Whatever!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/05 at 15:38:38
Quote Print Post  
Nice call Rob Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/26/05 at 19:16:14
Quote Print Post  
Disturbing....

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/26/05 at 19:21:15
Quote Print Post  
Floating or wading the river, Larry?

Should be a good time.  The Yakima from Rosa Dam up is a blue ribbon quality stream for trout and a lot of fun to fish.  It is loaded with VERY educated fish, few of which are giants.  Most of them will be in the 13-16" range.  My best on the river is a 22", caught this past Spring.  Here's a pic.

I owe Russ a trip there one of these days, huh Russ?  I haven't forgotten about you...too busy with hunting season! Embarrassed

And just to tick off the "exclusively bass" guys, here's a couple of trout I caught while fly fishing in B.C. a couple weeks ago, both of which were over 8 lbs. Grin

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/26/05 at 20:35:23
Quote Print Post  
How did I know "Dipsnort" Dave would chime in on this one. Wink You think you could squeeze that Yakima fish any harder? Shocked They aren't tuff like BASS.  Grin 8)

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/05 at 21:03:20
Quote Print Post  
The upper Yakima river is very scenic and especially nice to float in the stretch between Ellensburg and Sela.  as for the Trout fishing---ughh Tongue
Larry, you may have ingested some terrible mind altering vapors somewhere. ???  If I were you I would retrace my activities for the last several days.  Besides, I just can't get a visual of you in waders. Shocked Shocked

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/05 at 21:59:21
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
How did I know "Dipsnort" Dave would chime in on this one. Wink You think you could squeeze that Yakima fish any harder? Shocked They aren't tuff like BASS.  Grin 8)

I've been lurking and finally had something to say. Grin

Actually, the hold on the Yakima fish (and the others) is the proper way to hold a salmonid for a "hero shot".  The hand around the "wrist down by the tail should be fairly tight in order to control movement by the fish and the other hand gently cradles the area just behind the head.  And by the way, you can't release a trout by tossing it back it like a bass if you want it to survive, but I'm sure you knew that, Carlos. Wink

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/26/05 at 23:16:45
Quote Print Post  
Oh Dave you dog. There you go bustin' me out about the "slimmers". Ok, I like to fish for slimmers. Roll Eyes I said it are you happy now? Lips Sealed But you know what? I LOVE BASS FISHING! Grin

So you want to go catch some Big Browns out of Cranberry? 8)

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/26/05 at 23:45:02
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
So you want to go catch some Big Browns out of Cranberry? 8)

Sure, as long as Cranberry isn't the name of your septic tank. Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo