Normal Topic Should I set the hook yet?  How 'bout now? (Read 3410 times)
Dipsnort
Ex Member

Should I set the hook yet?  How 'bout now?
05/13/05 at 20:22:00
Quote Print Post  
I'm discovering the joy of fishing plastics which is obviously a whole different game from my traditional  crankbait extravaganza where there is no question when to set the hook - NOW!

So, I can see that the "feel" of the bite on plastics is largely dependant on the size of the fish.  The little guys seem to peck several times in succession with exhuberance, and the big ones (I guess) take the whole thing in their mouth in one fell swoop.  I'm not really sure what the medium-sized ones do (to me a medium-sized bass is 10-14", but then I'm still a rookie).  Often times I get "bit" similar to the way the little guys bite, except with less agression.

So, if it doesn't appear to be a tiny fish, do I set the hook at the first feel?  Do I wait until I get about the third feel (to make sure they have the whole bait in their mouth)?  What advice do you experts have on the subject?

By the way, I know to set the hook when my line is moving to the side.  I didn't learn this until a couple of weeks ago, but after that happened when I was fishing with Russ and he wondered why I didn't strike, I pretty much got the message on that one. Wink

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Should I set the hook yet?  How 'bout now?
Reply #1 - 05/13/05 at 20:30:12
Quote Print Post  
Sometimes it depends on what your fishing with. I used  to flip 7 inch plastic worms a lot. After feeling the initial few ticks, I would reel down and hesitate for a moment, then set the hook. There isn't an exact time. It is more from experience. With jigs, you usually want to set after the first bump because the second will be the fish spitting it out. What I do more know than anything is lift the tip slightly until I feel (or think I feel) enough pressure to ensure the fish has the bait. It bites you in the butt sometimes. You'll never hook every fish. At Silver lake I watched my line move about 7-8 ft from where a threw it in. I set the hook and nothing. The next day the same thing happened in the exact same spot. She was just picking it up. but not getting the hook in her mouth. Just go by you instinct..
« Last Edit: 05/13/05 at 22:42:08 by »  

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/13/05 at 21:08:25
Quote Print Post  
That's a tough question, 'snort. Like Rob said, go by your instinct. I believe that the rules you use for setting the hook change day by day depending on what the fish are telling you.

For example, last weekend at the NW Bass tourney on Lake WA, I could have sworn the first couple of fish I swung on would have had the bait solidly in their mouth, but I missed them both. I had to adjust and wait longer than I thought I needed to. Usually that meant waiting for them to swim off with it. Even then, I was barely hooking some of the fish. I think this has to do with the fact that they were probably bedding fish, and those fish often lightly swim off with the bait just to get it off the bed.

Like you said, if you get a tick and see the line swim off, that is usually an automatic set. But be careful about trying to tell if your bites are from a small fish or big fish. Some of the bigger fish I've hooked felt like perch nibbles. In most cases I agree with Rob and think that slightly lifting your tip up to feel for positive pressure - pressure that doesn't let off - is the best approach. If you start missing fish when this happens, set earlier next time.

Chris

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Re: Should I set the hook yet?  How 'bout now
Reply #3 - 05/14/05 at 02:03:34
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the replies, fellas.  I guess I'll need to do more field research to find the right instinct. 8)

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/14/05 at 03:07:59
Quote Print Post  
It's kind of a Zen thing. You get to where you just know when to set the hook. But then again, the fish change from day to day and minute to minute. Say it's dead calm and a sudden zephyer puts a ripple on the water. More aggression results = quicker hookset. Or maybe the sun pops out from behind a cloud = time to wait.

It usually takes missing a fish or two to catch on. This is the time when I pull out the Smelly Jelly Sticky Liquid or Kick n Bass and put a few drops on the part with the hook in it, and deliver the bait back to the same spot. So far, it's 100% conversion factor, given that I let them munch enough.  Normally, small fish are not subtle, giving a 'machinegun' bite. Big fish are usually fairly subtle on plastics, but if you can detect the bite, they will hold onto it, and you can git 'em.

Sometimes, I manage to just yank it away from the fish. That's because the fish is facing me, and I'm using a bullet sinker. I think the sinker wedges open the lips of Mr./Ms. Bass and the bait/hook follows it through. It is possible to apply light pressure and encourage the fish to turn away...sometimes.  If you can do without the weight, or move the weight away from the bait, you'll up your odds. I really like to see the fish swimming away with the bait, 'cause I'm 100% sure I'm going to get the hook into that fish. It may also mean that there are other fish present in that spot.

Two things I know that help detect the bite are to watch the line like a hawk. If you can't see your line, get one you can see. I can't see green monofil anymore, so I use clear. I have no trouble seeing it under most any conditions.

The other tip is to hang onto your line ahead of the reel. This takes the rod out of the equation.  You can use less expensive rods, don't need no steenking braid, either. The best way I can describe the bite as felt direct from the line is as an electrical shock...there is no doubt, you know what's going on at the hook.  This is very easy with a spinning reel, just close the bail and hook the line with your index finger like you are ready to cast. With a baitcaster, it's very easy if you switch the rod to your opposite hand ("palming" the reel).  Just reach forward with your thumb and index finger and pull the line between them. I use a LH reel on my pitching rod, so don't switch hands, but hold the line with my cranking fingers. All it does, is make me work the bait with the rod 100%...and slow down. Usually both are good things with plastics. 

One more thing, before you fall asleep...don't set your drag too tight. If you do it right, you should get a little 'zzzt' when you whack 'em. Set the drag lighter, and hit them harder. It works, try it. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Re: Should I set the hook yet?  How 'bout now
Reply #5 - 05/14/05 at 04:02:04
Quote Print Post  
Great tips - thanks Steve! 8)

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/14/05 at 04:32:21
Quote Print Post  
Take a look at this thread at GYCB Forum:
http://www.insideline.net/cgi-bin/ez-forum.pl?read=30339   8)
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo