Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Appropriate lb. test line for skipping plastics (Read 6191 times)
Dipsnort
Ex Member

Appropriate lb. test line for skipping plastics
05/04/05 at 17:17:47
Quote Print Post  
Well, it finally happened.  I had a REALLY good fish on yesterday and my leader snapped. Shocked Cry

Here's my setup: 20 lb. test Power Pro with 10 lb. test mono leader for skipping Senko's (and such).  I check for abrasion consistently, so I know that wasn't the problem, it was just a big fish and the leader was apparently to small.

So, what would you recommend in this situation?  20 lb. test or ??

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Appropriate lb. test line for skipping plastic
Reply #1 - 05/04/05 at 17:24:24
Quote Print Post  
Did it break at your knot? And if it did, which one...the one to the braid or to your bait?

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/04/05 at 17:25:29
Quote Print Post  
Tie straight to the power pro. Ihaven't had any problems with it.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/04/05 at 18:30:21
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Did it break at your knot? And if it did, which one...the one to the braid or to your bait?

Nope.  It broke a couple of feet up from the bait knot.  Although I don't believe the line had any abrasions, I think I found the weak spot.

I use a uni-knot for the braid to mono connection and a Trilene knot on the hook.  Both of these knots are supposed to have very good breaking strengths, and my experience with them seems to prove it out.

Nick, I like using the mono leader in order to maintain all of the (expensive) braided line, and to have the ability to break the line (if necessary) on a snag.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/05 at 18:56:26
Quote Print Post  
Nicks, twists, abrasions, getting rubbed on something sharp....the possibilities are amazingly abundant.  I use a hard abrasion resistant leader (Maxima green) on my powerpro for skipping and fanatically check it for nicks and abrasions all the time.  (Residual from my hardcore Steelhead days).

Always seems that those big fish find a way to rub off doesn't it   Undecided

BillB

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/05 at 19:25:25
Quote Print Post  
Maxima Ultragreen is what I'm using as well. Wink

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/05 at 22:48:12
Quote Print Post  
Dipsnort,

I broke off 3 fish this year using braided line with mono (20lb test flourocarbine). It all happened on the hook set. I think the braid doesn't give and the mono breaks or stretches and then weakens. I quit using the combination and went back to straight mono and I haven't broken off a fish since. I fished 8lbs test mono at Silver lake flipping into the bushes and never lost one fish. This is the only conclusion I could come up with.

Daryl

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/05 at 01:03:26
Quote Print Post  
I tie directly to the power pro but make sure you leave a pigtail because the super lines do not cinch down like mono does. There's no stretch. If you wanna use flourocarbon, use a small strong swivel and leader material, not line. My 2cents.
Mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/05 at 03:07:50
Quote Print Post  
Mark is right. If you want to skip with some good line tie directly to Power Pro. You don't need a leader. Best stuff out there bar none. Oh and 20 lb Power Pro is what I use.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/05 at 04:53:40
Quote Print Post  
I don't like using braid at all for skipping. I find the line doesn't cast as good as mono and doesn's sink as well which I don't like under deep docks. I like it to sink and then let it sit and then move it a little. If I don't get bit then I skip again. Usually the fish hit before it gets to the bottom. I do use the braid-mono combination for dropshotting, grubs and most other spinning applications, just not when skipping.

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/05/05 at 05:01:52
Quote Print Post  
Rob,
Braided lines are not perfect but it "will" out cast mono on any reel any day. If you're having trouble with it not casting correctly, there is another problem, not the line.
Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/05/05 at 05:11:13
Quote Print Post  
Well what usually causes it is the knot between the two lines. I have had that hang up or had the line hang up on it in the spool. You have to clip the tag ends really close. This means the knot has to be really good or you risk pulling it apart. This is just what I have experienced.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/05/05 at 20:56:06
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the tips, guys! 8)

IP Logged

hawghunter_2017
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 05/05/05 at 23:04:50
Quote Print Post  
I use the Power Pro line to skip with, and it works great. Plus you can feel better with it and there is no stretch, so when you set the hook, the fish is definitely going to be headed in your direction. I agree with Mark, I think it casts great, and have never had any trouble with it skipping. I actually prefer it.

Ted

Ted

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/05 at 00:25:58
Quote Print Post  
I use the other Maxima line for skipping most of the time. Maxima Chameleon is actually rated as more abrasion resistant than the Ultragreen. My skipping rods are both running 6lb test with no leader, one in Ultragreen and the other in Chameleon. The Chameleon also disappears under water so quickly, but has more memory than the Ultragreen.

My 2 biggest Largemouth (6lb and 7lb - see pic left) to date were both caught skipping around docks using 6lb Maxima - one on each color.

Just my sixpence.....
Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo