Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What's happing at Silver.....? (Read 8836 times)
BassingWoman
Ex Member

What's happing at Silver.....?
04/24/05 at 20:32:49
Quote Print Post  
Since I am on the 'no fishin' restriction, I was hoping for a play-by-play report of YESTERDAY and TODAY'S RESULTS - WHAT'S GOING ON AND NOT GOING ON - ???

PLEASE TELL ME...............I'M ANXIOUS TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: What's happing at Silver.....?
Reply #1 - 04/25/05 at 02:30:56
Quote Print Post  
Well, I heard the report from Ron H., and I will let everyone who was actually there give the synopsis. It was definitely an eventful tournament, and some of the best weights ever for a WBC event were caught this weekend!

Chris
« Last Edit: 04/25/05 at 04:06:25 by »  

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/05 at 03:50:23
Quote Print Post  
Shocked  Can't wait to hear this report.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/25/05 at 05:07:01
Quote Print Post  
Yes it was eventful.....
Friday nite...4 thunderstorms racked the area and knocked out power........
Saturday it rained almost 1-1/2 inches of rain.......
Tha campground turned into a mud pit......

And still it took Ron Hankinsons 32+ pounds to win it!
Daryl started the fray on Saturday with 21+ pound bag and Rons 7-14 big fish both looked unbeatable.....

Till Sunday when Ron came in with a 23+ pound bag!
And Rob maglio got an 8-8 Largemouth!
I will post the full report this week.
Our hopes are Lyle will get his boat fixed after a pre-launch impact with an errant tree...best of luck Lyle.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/05 at 14:36:10
Quote Print Post  
It was a great tourney!!! Grin  Thanks Carlos for fishing with me, I had a great time and you did a wonderful job netting fishing.  Just sorry we couldn't get you that 5th fish for your first tourney limit.  As for fishing it was typical Silver.  First day Goat Island canal was red hot.  Daryl S, Rob M, and myself just slayed them in there.  Daryl report catching 17? keepers there, Rob 8? and I caught 11 keepers.  Hot fishing....  Typical in that it required weightless or extremely small weights on your lures.  Anything faster moving just wasn't cutting it.  Ron H, after figuring that out went out on day 2 and thru a brush hog weightless and just slayed that 23 lb sack.  Tremendous bag Ron, great job changing up and producing.  As for Goat Island canal the 2nd day.  Pretty quite in there.  A couple big fish, but no numbers.  However, the red bush bite on Timber point and the west end really heated up.  I caught a limit in my two passes thru and Larry S caught some good fish down at the west end bushes.  Good job Larry.
  What was interesting in this tourney was the spinnerbait bite.  Having to fish plastics weightless to get a bite was one thing, but having Rob M. throw a big spinnerbait to produce all his big fish was a bit perplexing to me.  I have never done well throwing spinnerbait in silver.  But Rob stuck with it and showed that it CAN produce some great fish.  Great job Rob.
  Also, I was the only angler to limit both days and wasn't even close to winning.  25lbs of fish and a distant 3rd  ??? Cry Angry   Well, that's fishing.....  7 fish for 32lb and 7 fish for 28lbs.....  Talk about some monsters....

Mark

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/05 at 15:48:37
Quote Print Post  
A great start to a promising year for WBC.  Thiry + pounds for Silver Lake, when a short five years ago two htree pounders would have won this thing.  Great job, all.
Kirk

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/25/05 at 16:29:56
Quote Print Post  
What an awesome tourneyment this was! I would like to thank Mark and Rob for having me on there boats I must say I was really lucky with my draws this weekend 8). You guys are great fishermen and I learned alot, as this was my first tourneyment Grin. Also thanks to Ron for your generousity in lending me some rain gear because like a fool I left mine at home believing the weather report. Stu thanks for car pooling and sharing a site what a blast we had! I know this is getting long but I am thankful for Nick's Grand parents for having me in there RV. Oh I can't forget way to go Larry you did a great job running the toureyment I had a great time! Now I must say there were some amazing fish caught this weekend and I had the privledge of netting Rob's 8lb 8oz. Man what a pig! Shocked On a funny note we had many laughs as some of the people at the resort were very entertaining with there Carp fishing. All in all I had a one heck of a weekend and I'm really glad I joined WBC!

Carlos

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/25/05 at 17:59:24
Quote Print Post  
Carlos - You did learn the most important lesson from Mark and ROb.  This is Western Washington.  Never, ever forget your wet weather gear.  Been there done that.  The last two years have been great weather for this event, but I have seen it blow HARD, cold rain, snow, sleet, etc., when Steve Pool said to pack sunscreen.  As for E. WA., do not think that it cannot do the same over here.  Pack rain gear AND sun screen Wink Wink

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/26/05 at 02:01:59
Quote Print Post  
Grin   Thank for the reports so far. I look forward to one from Larry S. too! Did anyone get pics to share? Just wondering...

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #9 - 04/26/05 at 04:52:51
Quote Print Post  
I had a great time, as well. We all did a large amount of standing around in the dark and rain BS'ing on Friday night, since the power was out for several hours.

I fished with Ron on Saturday and Phil on Sunday. I enjoyed both days thoroughly, and I learned a ton from both guys. These are two real veterans of the club, with a lot of experience and time already dedicated to the club, and they both made sure that I had a great time on the water.

On Saturday, Ron and I pitched the snot out of the red bushes with brushhogs. Ron had some bites from big fish - a few that came up out of the water and were clearly big - but they didn't hang on. I caught a couple of small keepers. One on my heavy-weighted brushhog and my first ever fish on a jig-n-pig.

As you know, Ron had two fish on the first day. One was about 1.5 lbs, and with about an hour left until  time was up, I told him that I had heard several people tell stories that started with "I was fishing with Ron and ..." followed by some amazing thing that happened, and that I wanted to be able to do that, too. Well, we started heading back with 30 minutes left and Ron said we were going to stop at one secret dock that holds big fish, but that I had to agree not to tell anyone where it was.

We got to the dock, and were skipping Senkos under it, and Ron hooked a pig. As he was reeling it in, he going "Stu, get the net. Stu, do you have the net?" as I was standing right behind him with the net, but forgetting to actually answer him because I was so busy looking for the fish. (Apparently, several witnesses claim to have seen me doing some kind of a comical "net dance"  but I didn't notice, because I was busy watching the fish.)  Anyway, I got to net Ron's 7 lb 14 oz fish with 13 minutes until the cut off time - and I did it right (despite my dancing). I had a great time and got my fishing with Ron story to boot.

AND, when we looked up from netting the fish, there were 3 or 4 other boats that were all headed to the "secret dock" we were at.

Thanks, Ron. I had a blast. AND CONGRATULATIONS!

And thanks to Daryl for helping spool up the right lines on the right reels in the dark and rain.

As Carlos mentioned, he and I carpooled and camped together and had a great time laughing our a**es off all weekend. If you haven't met him, take a moment to say hi at the next fish-in or meeting. The club got a good man when Carlos signed on.

Can't wait for Potholes!

Thanks everyone.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/26/05 at 05:22:35
Quote Print Post  
Stu - great report! Wish I could have seen your 'net dance'.....lolololo. AWESOME  JOB GUYS !!!  Wasn't it a hoot - getting your first jig-n-pig? My was so FUN!!

I can't wait til I can get out again.........I'm PROUD TO KNOW ALL MEMBERS OF THIS CLUB !!!

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #11 - 04/26/05 at 13:50:10
Quote Print Post  
Hey there WBC,
 First of all, thanks to everyone for a GREAT weekend.  A couple of corrections on Stu's report.......  the PIG on Saturday was 7 LB. 8 OZ., the secret dock isn't a secret as mentioned, but I fish it a little different than most people do.  Stu, thanks for the net job, dancin' or not, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!  That fish was critical to the cause, and I wouldn't have won without it.
 A funny thing, our President, Chuck(the Rev) said to me the first year I fished Silver with the club, "was that you fishing the island today?"  I replied, "yes, WHY?"  He told me he had never seen anyone fishing the island in all his years.  Point being, we as a club a constantly re evaluating the lakes we fish and how we fish them.  I saw Smitty lose a Pig a couple of years ago on a "nothing" shoreline and last year took 3rd off that "nothing" shoreline.  Stu, every year you fish this lake, be observant and watch what people are doing and where their fishing.  That will teach you m,ore than anything you hear from me, Phil, or any other clubber.
 As you all have heard, I had an amazing day on Sunday.  After hearing that there were several limits caught on Senko's, I started out my day throwing Senko's.  After 3 short fish, knowing this wasn't the way I was going to make a comeback, I took the weight off my Brushhog and continue doing what Stu and I did on Sat.  First hit on the weightless Hawg, a 6+, second, a 5+, third, another 5+, fourth another keeper(small fish, about 2 lbs.) and 1/2 hour to weigh-in, fifth fish hit and it was a 6 LB. 10 OZ. PIG.  I had no idea the weight I had accumulated throughout the day as I was to focused on that 5th fish to even look in the livewell.  All I can say, I was stunned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
 Thanks to Larry for putting on another GREAT event and Larry, after the multiple sacks in the 20Lb. and bigger, this weekend, we may want to buy a scale that will weigh them all at once.  Both Darryls' bag and mine errored the club scale (too much for the scale capacity).  WHAT A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 23LB. 13OZ.  What else can be said!!!!!!!!! Had a great time all,  Thanks for another memmorable WBC weekend. Cheesy

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #12 - 04/26/05 at 17:15:51
Quote Print Post  
Great report everyone!  Congrats to the front runners - awesome weights and what a nice comeback!  And congrats to all who caught fish.  It sounds like it was a great time both on and off the water - a typical WBC tourny.  Cheesy    Sorry I couldn't make it, but I was out of town on business.  Cry   We'll see y'all at Potholes!!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/26/05 at 18:27:36
Quote Print Post  
Here's last year's winning weight and big fish

Talk about a difference...

TOTAL     20-3 lbs         
Big Fish   6-5 Lbs

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/26/05 at 22:51:53
Quote Print Post  
Dang, I gotta try a tournement some day.  I was slimer fishing this weekend. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo