Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ALMOST into the double digits (Read 4291 times)
Mike_W
Ex Member

ALMOST into the double digits
03/05/05 at 03:46:49
Quote Print Post  
But not quite.

Got a late start this morning to one of my last midweek fishing trips. Went to Sammamish, of course. Had six fish in the boat in the first hour or so. All came off the same rock pile. I was loving it. Talked to a few members on the phone and gave them a live update. I made the mistake of claiming I would get ten in the boat.

The wind picked up some and I could not hold my position so I went scouting. Fished a few other little areas, half heartedly. Wind died down so I went back to the rock. Dropped the little guy down there and WHAMMO #7. released it. Cool. Ten minutes later, doink doink, OH YEAAH BABY #8. At this point I was a little more confident in my claim of ten. Still within the rock zone I worked the hula grub over. I would have loved to have had a camera on that thing while it was down there. It was shaking, hopping and popping like it was on a hip-hop video. I think it may have even had a slight rump shake in it. Then it happen. SON!!! #9.

At this point I was pumped. I was actually going to do it. The only problem was I was running a little late to the appointment that I had. He called somewhere between #6 and #7. So I did the right thing.................and stayed to get # 10. But it did not happen. I had to pull out and abort the mission after phone call number two.

All the fish came from 29-38 feet of water. Surface temp was 47.8. I found that the fish did not like the grub drug. I fished this area several times in the last week and had very little luck. Me and Stu hit 5 on sunday and all mine came from the same area today. I wa s kinda shaking the bait in a vertical method. Kinda like drop shoting. Most the fish had a very light bite. Some really slammed it. Fell in love and bought one of the rods that Ruman has. I have 12 fish boated on a rod I didn't own untill today Roll EyesJim??

Mike

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Re: ALMOST into the double digits
Reply #1 - 03/05/05 at 03:50:40
Quote Print Post  
SWEET!!! Good for YOU!! Not TOO long now! I am so anxious to go!!!

LOOK OUT BASS - HERE I COME - I'M GONNA GET YA!!!

Y  I   P  E  E           -        Y   A  H   O  O  !!!!!

I'M LOVING IT........................ Kiss

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/05/05 at 04:09:05
Quote Print Post  
Hey Mike,
was it the 842 that you fell in love with.

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/05 at 20:43:15
Quote Print Post  
mike,
where you fishing a standup jig head. how big of a grub were you fishing also. i was out on sunday, and saw tons of fish concentrated in small specific areas of rock piles.
c&r chad

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/05 at 03:48:52
Quote Print Post  
I was using a 3/8 football head. The grub was a twin tail mop top. Pretty standard gear at this time of year.

I did go back out again on Monday with a friend and only was able to boat one fish. I am surprised that you saw fish on the rocks on sunday. We found that all of the fish were off the rocks and moved onto the hard sand. Saw many groups of fish together. Water is definitly warming up. Hit 49.9 on Monday.

Mike

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/05 at 04:04:18
Quote Print Post  
going to try to get out there this weekend too....see ya out there.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/05 at 05:05:57
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry, I was planning on doing some looking around in prep. for the hoghunter open on the 9th this coming weekend. Were you planning on being up there at first light? If so see you there, if not, stop by and say HI!! if you see me.  Smiley
Brian (The Weedwalker)
PS. Mike, good job!! so close but so far on your 10. You going back out there this coming weekend?

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/09/05 at 05:32:05
Quote Print Post  
Nice report.  What part of the lake were you at?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/09/05 at 06:18:48
Quote Print Post  
Will see Brian....and Mike..... NICE JOB BIG GUY!

Should have started out with that! Grin

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/11/05 at 04:22:14
Quote Print Post  
I have had some problems with my internet lately so it makes it hard to post. My wife accidently cut the phone line while grinding some stumps and she is having trouble fixing it.

I can't remember were I was on the lake ??? I think it was around some docks that looked wet and.......oh yeah, there was a rock pile under us.

Don't worry. The fish have moved off the area for the most part. Look shallow for this weekend. I am saying 20' with sand near rocks.

Mike

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/11/05 at 04:34:40
Quote Print Post  
We know who does all the work around your house, Mike.  It's not like you need to tell everyone.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/11/05 at 05:45:20
Quote Print Post  
No Doug, I've told you this before. I do the work around the house. Shannon does the work IN the house.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/14/05 at 01:17:12
Quote Print Post  
Also almost in the double digits (9 lbs 11 oz), but not from Lk. Sam. Mark Wells sent me this pic a few years ago, and  I haven't seen it posted here. Maybe in the photo album, tho. The key thing for large fish is to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right tackle. Slow stuff usually works best. I think this was from a lake around Oly, on a Zoom Brush Hog.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/14/05 at 04:39:52
Quote Print Post  
You know all it would have took is one more meal of perch before being caught to push it over 10....Still a great fish!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo