Normal Topic Big Lake (Read 1992 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Big Lake
12/28/04 at 18:25:59
Quote Print Post  
Hit Big Lake again on Sunday to try for the elusive largemouth. The water was a frigid 46 degrees. I fished a bitsy bug jig about as slow as I could around every bit of cover. I also dropshotted some lizards and threw some cranks. Not a single bite between my partner and I. Actually he had a bump on the crank, but most likely a trout. Weather kinda sucked too. Rain in the morning and pretty cold all day, but we braved it.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Re: Big Lake
Reply #1 - 12/28/04 at 19:31:54
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rob,
Were you dragging or hoping the jig. Or were you shaking it.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/29/04 at 17:27:00
Quote Print Post  
I worked it about every way that I can think of. Sometimes when the water is that cold, bites are slim to none, especially with largemouth. It's part of the game this time of the year.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/30/04 at 01:55:12
Quote Print Post  
Rob I knew the bite is hard on largies. I put in my time this winter on largies so far. The only bites I've gotten have come on a husky jerk and bitsy bug and a 3/8oz jig. The jigs bites came when I was hoping the bait in the thickest and greenest weeds I could find. But the greenest weeds were starting to decay. I fI really think about it. Out in my little lake they've been coming where the dead grass meets the leaving grass. Since it changes every week I haven't beenable to just go out their and go heres where I'm going to get a bite. I've had to search. But when I've gotten my bass this winter it's been after warm weather. So good conditions. Yours sounded like they were as bad as you can probably get for largemouth this time of year.

Thanks
Nick

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo