Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Silver Lake (Read 4940 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Silver Lake
10/07/04 at 23:33:20
Quote Print Post  
I thought I would finally take Daryl's advice and go down to Silver this Saturday.  Not only for the fishing, but it might be neat to see Mt. St. Helens blow her top a little while we're down there.

Does anyone have any tips or advice that they would be willing to share about the lake?  Any specific areas that are particularly good?  Any bait that seemed to work pretty good this time of year?  Any help you guys would have for me would be greatly appreciated as I have never even seen the lake.

-jw

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Silver Lake
Reply #1 - 10/07/04 at 23:43:38
Quote Print Post  
J,

Well here goes. I know the lake like the back of my hand. Take some Black-Blue flake 5" Senko's with you or the junebug color and skip them under docks. Also get you some brush hogs and pitch and flip them around any wood or cover-trees, bushes etc. Then make sure you are using a minimum of 10lb line.
Hang On,
Russ

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/04 at 23:50:49
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the advice Russ.   Grin  I would guess that I should stay in pretty close to shore.  Is there any particular part of the lake that produces better than any other?

-jw

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/07/04 at 23:55:56
Quote Print Post  
J,

Thats a good question. I mostly start at the east end of the lake in front of Streeters resort. There is about 5 docks there that really can produce. Also when you are facing those docks and after you have pounded them go to your right and you will see a canal that runs further east, we call this the horseshoe. Fish the wall and the floating wood and docks in there very methodically. Also fish the docks on the island with the houses on it.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/08/04 at 04:09:01
Quote Print Post  
Also be aware this lake is very prone to quick moving weather systems and will turn on a dime so have a plan ready! Been out there and gotten blown into the many piling rows with a prop strike here and there!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/08/04 at 15:38:17
Quote Print Post  
And don't run on plane west of the bouy line on the far west end of the lake. The lake is on average, only about 7-8 ft deep so be careful. There are logs and pilings inside that bouy line. There are more lily pad fields than you could imagine, but I haven't done good arounf them unless there is wood involved. Good luck

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/08/04 at 16:31:19
Quote Print Post  
Larry, you get prop strikes in the bathtub...hehe

Rich

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/09/04 at 00:31:12
Quote Print Post  
This time of year try around the island and the area just across from the rock piles next to the island marked with buoys.  Any long narrow ditches you find may also pay off.  The red colored bushes can also be a nice pattern.  Pilings can produce too.  Shallow running crankbaits and smaller senkos and grubs.

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/10/04 at 01:32:08
Quote Print Post  
ALthough the black and blue senkos Russ talked about can be dynamite on this lake, you have to keep in mind the time of year, but I wouldnt  rule them out. To me, fall means rattle traps and cranks, and we have had some good days on silver this time of year throwing them. The bandit crankbait is a popular choice with Roger Luce, who used to guide there. I like throwing rattle traps or lipless cranks in silver color. Also dont forget about throwing buzzbaits early. work the docks and rock around the island...
chad

IP Logged

BIG RAND
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/29/04 at 04:26:02
Quote Print Post  
how do i get to silver lake from Tacoma, and is there any bank fishing? Grin

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/04 at 00:02:33
Quote Print Post  
There is some very limited bank fishing from the road.  It can be good for crappie.  You take I-5 south to the Toutle/Castle Rock exit.  Take a left back over the freeway and stay on Silver Lake Hwy until you see the lake.  You can also rent some beater boats from the Silver Lake motel.  My buddy John caught a 8.3 and 9.1 this month.

IP Logged

ylfylf
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/21/05 at 18:19:42
Quote Print Post  
Glad to read this info on Silver Lake, and the directions, as I'm from Tacoma, currently ...  I used to be taken there as a child, and fished then, with my Dad, a fly-fisherman, but- only as a child, really young.  Fished Spirit Lake as a child-  really really beautiful up there. 
Anyway, is Silver Lake open all year 'round, and IF it is, would would you experienced fishermen (men and women included, a'course!) advise to fish for BASS at this time of year, Silver Lake, OR Lake Samammish (!), on a day like today, 21 Jan., '05 ???
I think I'm wanting to get out there on a Lake!
Jerrie

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/21/05 at 19:03:47
Quote Print Post  
I would go to Sammamish or Lake Washington as the Smallmouth are more likely to bite....Silver lake is open year round for Bass...dont know bout trout....Silver has only Largemouth.
Sammimish had Smally at 45+ feet deep as of Saturday...
Enjoy!

IP Logged

ylfylf
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/21/05 at 19:37:43
Quote Print Post  
Big thanks, Larry Smiley.
I have family right on Lk. Sammmimish, so, it would be a double benefit trip, place to see 'kid's, 'grand-kids', and get warmed up after fishing.
Appreciate your input!
Jerrie

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo