Normal Topic RIP Baits (Read 3823 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

RIP Baits
09/02/04 at 15:05:46
Quote Print Post  
Have any of you had success using jerk baits in the fall?  I have had marginal success, but have done way better in the late summer/fall season throwing crankbaits.  Thanks,
Kirk

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: RIP Baits
Reply #1 - 09/02/04 at 18:52:45
Quote Print Post  
Got Five,

The Lucky Craft Pointer 78 is great in the fall for Smallies on Roosevelt, Banks, and on Potholes around the rocks.
Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/02/04 at 20:15:49
Quote Print Post  
Would the standard gold work or do you prefer to use a trout pattern or some other?  Is a jerbait considered a reaction lure, even when a guy uses a pause retrieve?

Kirk

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/02/04 at 20:27:02
Quote Print Post  
Lets not split hairs Kirk.  Tongue I would always consider it a reaction lure even with a finesse retrieve. I haven't been using jerkbaits as much as I used to, but I have to beleive they would be a great bait in the fall. I have talked to anglers who will use them with success in waters as low as upper 40's. I heard this about Potholes and Banks.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/03/04 at 15:09:30
Quote Print Post  
It's only because manufactures of some of these baits calim a slow, methodical retrieve is best.  These baits are clearly painted to indicate that a fish would basically inspect the bait prior to taking.  I like them a lot and have just not develoepd full confidence in them at any other time than spring. 
Kirk

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/03/04 at 15:50:55
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I have used rattle traps as rip baits in the spring and fall. I've used upto 1oz traps. The fish can't stand it being ripped away. I suppose an 1/8 or a1/4 oz could be finessed a little. ??? ??? ???

I like you have know confidence in jerkbaits. I may tie one on and throw it about a dozen times and then tie on my rattle trap. I guess I just need a large school of fish to blow up on it and catch a few, before I will use it with confidence.  ??? ??? ???

Daryl

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo