Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Batteries (Read 4953 times)
Larry G.
Ex Member

Batteries
07/20/04 at 12:43:35
Quote Print Post  
Battery question.
Does anyone know for sure, how you would connect 1 or 2 more batteries to an existing  [2 battery 24 volt system], to increase the trolling motor’s sustain running time?
Larry G.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Batteries
Reply #1 - 07/20/04 at 13:32:15
Quote Print Post  
I am sure there is a way. There is connecting batteries in series and parallel. I can't remember which does what, but one way adds the voltage of all batteries connected and the other keeps the same voltage. You want the one that adds all the power of the batteries with the same voltage.

Actually I think its parallel. Someone can tell me if I'm wrong. If you hook a 12volt batt to motor you have 12volts of power to it. If you take another batt and connect the positives together and the negatives together, the motor still has 12 volts, but should last longer because you have 2 batteries.

I guess that's not a for sure answer.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/04 at 14:40:39
Quote Print Post  
What the hell did Rob just say???

Rich

http://www.yachtoutfitting.com/batteries.html

Try this page Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yeah you be right Rob

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/21/04 at 03:21:05
Quote Print Post  
Rich, thanks for the info.
Larry G.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/04 at 13:33:14
Quote Print Post  
I spoke with a guy who is the electrician for the district I work for. He said the problem with adding batteries to a 24 volt system may be with the charger. I would ask someone in the boat industry or who knows a lot about the charging system to ensure you don't screw anything up.

If you run a simple 12 volt system all connected in parallel then you can charge then with no problem. So If you have 4, 12 volt 200 amp batteries connected in parallel, you would get a 12 volt, 800 amp system which would last longer. You could simply add a 4 bank charger, 1 to each battery and be good.

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/21/04 at 23:10:58
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
Think of it like your flash light... you put the batteries in positive to negitive to increase voltage this is called series.
Now to keep the same voltage but increase amps hook the batteries positive to positive and negetive to negitive this is perallel.

But since you want to add batteries to your 24 volt system, you need to add two 12 volt batteries. like this:

your current batteries are in series to make the 24 volts, so you do the same thing with the other two and treat each pair like two individual 24 volt batteries.
Now hook your two 24 volt batteries in parellel.

If all of this makes sense it should go like this:

12volt A to 12volt B == positive A to Negitive B == 24volt AA

12volt C to 12volt D == Positive C to Negitive D == 24volt BB

24volt AA to 24volt BB ==
      Empty Negitive AA to Negitve BB and to negitive side of trolling motor
      Empty Positive AA to Positive BB and to Positive side of trolling motor

And to charge you would use a 4 bank 12 volt charger
or a 2 bank 24volt charger

Note:
You would NOT want to add one battery to this because:

If you hooked it up in parellel it would try and charge the 3rd battery to 24volts.  Bad idea for the 12 volt Battery Shocked

If you hooked the 3rd battery in series it would then be  a 36 volt system. Again Bad Idea for a 24 volt motor  Shocked

I hope this helps
Jim

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/22/04 at 06:44:51
Quote Print Post  
Watch out for the increase in current (Amps) I tried it on the Nitro and it kept blowing the main fuses since the Amperage doubled.

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/04 at 12:06:32
Quote Print Post  
Thanks everyone for your posts.
After reading all the comments, I have decided my attempt to add one more battery to my 24 volt system has come to an end.
It seems you can add 2 more or no more.
It was a just a one day need, for sockeye fishing on Sat.
Larry G.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/22/04 at 13:58:33
Quote Print Post  
Great detail Jim. That made perfect sense. I knew someone out there could explain it better.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 07/22/04 at 21:02:52
Quote Print Post  
Jim's a perfeshunal mekanick.  He smart.   Grin

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/23/04 at 09:19:28
Quote Print Post  
YEasDerday I Could not spell mechiNICK today I ARE one!! Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo