Poll
Poll Question: What brand of Monofilament line do you use?

« Created by: Larry S. on: 07/01/04 at 01:28:00 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Reply Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Monofilament (Read 7996 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Monofilament
07/01/04 at 01:28:00
Quote Print Post  
Hey Folks, just a little diddy on Monofilament lines as we have lots of new members and visitors that might be interested in what to try or use. You can vote for multiples as some folks use different mono for different applications.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Monofilament
Reply #1 - 07/01/04 at 04:30:03
Quote Print Post  
Larry, how about adding "Pradco" to the survey. Good stuff, good price, my favorites.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/03/04 at 04:38:53
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry,

Stop plugging votes for Izorline... You're the only one who uses that stuff!!!  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/04 at 19:57:08
Quote Print Post  
C'mon now I only voted once for Izor..........

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/02/04 at 04:58:55
Quote Print Post  
Has anybody tried "SUFIX DNA" co-polymer? Anybody know where I can get some, locally? Know where to get it in bigger spools, online or local?
C&R,Steve

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/02/04 at 13:31:10
Quote Print Post  
Sportco used to have some Steve. 

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/14/04 at 03:49:16
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, Smitty. I found Suffix DNA at Sportco, as advertised. Reading the fine print, discovered it's made in China. Eeewww. Izorline made in Taiwan. I think the Pradco lines are made in Japan. Well, McCoy's is made in Arizona, or was. If they made it in clear and floro blue, I'd use it exclusively. I can't see green line well enough, but it is excellent.  
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/04 at 04:00:58
Quote Print Post  
My mom won me a 1200yd spool of 10 lb McCoy mean green many years ago, I ran out of it this year, and it has been great line. 
I have used 8 lb maxima perfexxion for some drop shotting this year, did pretty good.  Should I be using Fluorocarbon at all times when it comes to drop shotting?  I know it is preferred and helps.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/04 at 18:09:29
Quote Print Post  
If you don't have to use flourocarbon then don't. It has less memory which can cause it to "balloon" off the spool. I heard some people having problems with knots breaking, but haven't notice it. I use a thin braid with a mono leader for most of my spinning applications. Great sensitivity from the braid and the leader is less visible. You can use flouru for the leader...

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/16/04 at 05:12:31
Quote Print Post  
Let's talk cost!
  I fished all year and didn't break off a single fish on EXCEL 8# and 12# from Bass Pro Shops.  I was always sold on Trilene XT and thought I'd fill the kids rods with something not so expensive.  After watching Connor catch fish after fish this spring in heavy cover at Potholes with 12# Excel, I use it now exclusively.  I'd put it up against any of your "FUNKY" named stuff.  Look it up on Bass Pro Shops website.  It's worth trying.  Once in a while, it goes on sale and it is pretty cheap.  I think the last big spool I bought was like $14.00 or so.  I'm very happy with it.  Food for thought!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/16/04 at 15:38:13
Quote Print Post  
I tend to agree with Ex-Prez.  I try to keep my applications as simple as possible and have been using excel exclusively for the past seven years.  In that time, according to my notes, have not lost a fish due to line fatigue or poor workmanship.  Bad knots have cost me a fish, normally early spring when my hands are too cold to do a good job cinching down the knot.  For flipping sticks, I like to use Trilene Big Game in 25lb test.  Solid sensitivity and almost indestructible around beaver huts, and assorted heavy cover that I like to fish.  I have experimented with all the polymers, braids, etc., but what it boils down too for me is, K.I.S.S. or keep it simple, stupid.  My two cents.

KH

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/16/04 at 17:12:21
Quote Print Post  
I also agree with Kirk and Ron. I have been using Excel for a few years and you cannot beat this line. I have spooled up a few members and have had them try it. Dollar for Dollar there is nothing better. I also use the Bass pros XPS 17lbs on my flipping sticks. It has very little stretch and it is very sensitive. Spending big bucks is not always the best way to go.

Daryl

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/16/04 at 17:16:04
Quote Print Post  
Speaking of Excel, I bought a huge spool in the spring of the 12 pound test and agree with what the others said about it. I used it on all my baitcasting rigs all year, except for pitchin and flippin. I can only remember breaking off one good smallmouth all year, and I should of retied before that happened. Don't forget to do that after a few good fish. I bought the clear but would recommend the green. The clear was too easy to see in most of the water. It kinda had a blue haze to it.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/17/04 at 02:47:40
Quote Print Post  
Ya guys had me sold....till Daryl said he liked it!

GOTCHA DAR-MAN!! Cheesy Wink : Kiss

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/17/04 at 22:47:58
Quote Print Post  
I need the flo-blu due to failing eye sight.  Need all the help I can get..Sucks getting old.
Kirk

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Reply Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo