Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE (Read 7314 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE
Reply #15 - 02/26/05 at 05:41:24
Quote Print Post  
My suggestion would be to concentrate on one slow presentation, and one fast presentation. To get really specific, I'd suggest Splitshotting and Spinnerbaits.

Splitshotting will catch you a lot of fish, it's quick, easy, and cheap to rig, and shockingly snag resistant. It will teach you how to rig plastics straight, watch the line, and feel the strike. I like to splitshot craws and lizards. They seem to cause less trouble with rolling during retreive than a lot of other style baits. There are lots of plastics that work, few that won't. Tips: Use for 20' max water depth, light winds, blue skies or cloudy.

To my mind, the spinnerbait is the obvious choice for a new baitcaster user. This bait is very snag resistant, so if you don't cast it exactly where you want, you still have a good chance of getting it back, and you can put in more casts per day than about anything else.  Casts well in the wind, and catches fish, too.  The spinnerbait is a complex subject, lots of tricks and potential for tweeks and mods. This is a bait that's worth spending several seasons really learning well and gaining confidence in it.  Tips: Use when cloudy, windy, rainy, shallow or deep water, at night...clear water > fast retreive. Dirty water > slow retreive....vary the weight, color, and blade type to work for each situation.  Did I mention AT NIGHT?
C&R, Steve
« Last Edit: 03/02/05 at 02:45:07 by »  

IP Logged

5basslimit
Ex Member

Re: CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE
Reply #16 - 02/26/05 at 06:02:17
Quote Print Post  
For newbies... I agree with a lot of what was already said.  Tubes are awesome baits.  Really popular 5 years ago b4 the Senko craze.  BUT... they are harder to keep the fish stuck sometimes.  In general... I would find 2 or 3 techniques you like and master those. Find one fast and one slow for sure... Especially if you are in the back of the boat most of the time...  it's hard to beat the split shot finesse worm, especially if your boater partner is flippin.  Plus you can always switch to a swimmin a grub if he speeds up all of a sudden.  Don't worry too much about color.  Something for clear water, and something for dirty is all you need.    Learn how to "pitch" with a baitcaster and a spinning reel. Putting your lure in the best spot at the best speed is the key.  With that said... I will be in my driveway pitching under a desk into a coffee can tomorrow  Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo