Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE (Read 7289 times)
Nick
Ex Member

CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE
06/17/04 at 04:19:10
Quote Print Post  
HEY GUYS I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT CAROLINA RIGGED TUBES. I JUST WANT TO HERE IF YOU'VE EVER FISHED AND HOW EFFECTIVE IT IS.

THANKS

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Re: CAROLINA RIGGED TUBE
Reply #1 - 06/17/04 at 17:48:11
Quote Print Post  
I thought i might ask this question because i've been hearing a lot of hype about it from my Grandpa. He told me it's been catching big fish down there and alot of them.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/18/04 at 03:53:42
Quote Print Post  
the old man come with some good wisdom young man, thats why we call them wise old men....I've learned that when a SR. talks advice...listen!!!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/18/04 at 05:06:22
Quote Print Post  
Hey Nick....Tubes work very nicely carolina rigged especially with our Smallmouth populations as they mimic baitfish so well....when rigged carolina you have to give them more "Pop" when you lift your rod tip to shake the beads and it will launch the tube to give that "I'm a dying baitfish" twitch and they will usually hit it as it falls.
I use a longer leader with a tube than when I throw a lizard...about a foot to foot and a half longer to get more natural fall.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/21/04 at 02:48:48
Quote Print Post  
thanks Guys

IP Logged

Sean The Arkie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/04 at 21:15:06
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
the old man come with some good wisdom young man, thats why we call them wise old men....I've learned that when a SR. talks advice...listen!!!

In my family when the SR.s start giving 'advice' it's time to start thinning out the Bourbon:Coke ratio.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/05 at 03:14:24
Quote Print Post  
Cheesy  Hello all! I am getting supplies. I was wondering on glass beads.....what size(s) are recommended and color.
I really appreciate this info! Thank you everyone.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/24/05 at 04:17:09
Quote Print Post  
bassing woman,

Bead size doesn't really matter as long as they are glass.
They make more noise that way and you can get them cheap at your local fabric store.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/24/05 at 16:12:04
Quote Print Post  
Uh....Russ.....ummmmmmm.....uh........

FABRIC STORE........

Senkbo my #$%^

KNITTERS-BO MAYBE!

Grin

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/24/05 at 21:22:23
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

The glass beads at the fabric store are usually half the price of a tackle store.

Knittersbo,Senkbo,armbo its all the same.
Russ is back and ready to kick bass.
RB

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #10 - 02/25/05 at 03:02:54
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

I bought a bunch of glass beads at Michael's craft store. Paid almost nothing.

Of course, I took my kids along as camouflage...

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/25/05 at 04:27:13
Quote Print Post  
Hey Bassing Woman,

I just want to give you my little advice on techniques and baits..    They are all tools to be used at the appropriate times!!  Treat them as such.  I would advise you to pick out a couple and stick with them untill you get efficient with them and gain confidence in them. Then try a couple more.  It would be best to use natural colored baits.   If you try to catch fish with all of the 1000 baits, techniques, and a trillion colors, you will get frustrated and spend a bookoo of money.

Nick!  Tubes catch fish using almost any style, including caralina rigs.  I have a harder time hooking up, so I use a thinner wire hook.

And if your wife, mom, girlfriend goes to the craft store and you HAVE to go along Grin.  The bead section is a good place to shop.  But of course I would never go alone Shocked

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/25/05 at 06:00:02
Quote Print Post  
I know why that elbow is really screwed up, but this is a family site.

Brenda, stick with red or clear beads. And Dave was right about trying a few at a time. I would work on the dropshotting and texas rigging techniques. Rig one spinning outfit dropshot style and another with a light wire 1 or 2.0 hook with a 1/8-3/16 ounce bullet weight. With this setup I would start with a single tail grub. Throw it out, let it sink and work it back with different retrieves. You can switch to skirted grubs, double tail grubs, worms, lizards, etc. on that same setup. You can throw various baits on the dropshot but keep it simple.

These two rigs will catch fish through a lot of the season and will work pretty consistently. Time on the water is the ultimate factor to catching fish though. You can read all the books and magazines in existence, but experience on the water is what will make you better.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/25/05 at 07:48:08
Quote Print Post  
Brenda,
another piece of advice is to challenge yourself to a few techniques. A really good bass fisher person is really good at 3 techniques. That what I begin to consider a versitile angler. If I'm trying to learn a new technique I'll go out to a lake full of numbers of bass and not quantity and I'll only take the rod condusive to that technique. Yes I'll only take one rod. That's how I learned to fish a jig and also how I gained confidence. Remember it's all about patience.

P.S. Dave you won't have to worry about me in the arties crafties store any time soon alone. When that happens I'll be taking the wrong turn. That will be about the same time I show up to a meeting in a purple tootoo.LOL

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/25/05 at 16:33:23
Quote Print Post  
Brenda, listen to the older guys cause their experience came on the water not from the books (nice tootoo Nickie) Roll Eyes

Like Rob/Dave said learn a couple techniques to begin with.  I think the main ones would be Carolina/Texas, dropshotting, and spinner/cranks.  Probably the first 2 are the easiest and cheapest and will produce just about anytime.  Once you become proficient with these then you can broaden your horizons  Also, like they said it is the time on the water that really helps.

A lot of people try to get everything they hear about in the beginning and end up with a backroom full of stuff they never use because they eventually find their niche and it doesn't require a lot of the "junk" they have.  Which is why we have the ANNUAL SWAPMEET at the monthly meeting this March.

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo