Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fishing Kids Event (Read 5985 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Fishing Kids Event
06/05/04 at 23:38:16
Quote Print Post  
Slimers, Slimers, Slimers everywhere.  What a great time.  There were lots of kids, not sure of the total, but at least several hundred that showed up and they all caught some nice trout and had a real ball doing it.

There were several members there.  Faz, Glenn May, Virgil Wilbur, "Rev",  Doug Booth and Caleb(sp?), Brian Walker, Neil, Don and probably some others that I didn't see.  The weather held off and we all got thru it dry and safe.

AND had a lot of fun.  Really a great thrill to watch and help these kids catch a couple of fish. Grin

For those that were there, a big round of applause and for those that couldn't make it please try to make it next time.  It is really a great feeling to participate.

Rich

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Fishing Kids Event
Reply #1 - 06/06/04 at 00:07:49
Quote Print Post  
Hear! Hear!  Had a great time!  I think we about 800 kids total.  It was a lot of work, but a ton of fun.

We were even visited by an old member, Mike Paddock, when he came down with his grandkid.  Mike is doing well and is thinking about returning to the club.

Rich, I think you meant Nick, not Neal.  Sue & Brian Hudgins, Nick, and Jim & Sherry showed up Friday as well to help rig equipment.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/04 at 15:48:07
Quote Print Post  
Hey Glenn, I am here to fish not talk. Lips Sealed

You are right.  I kept calling him Nick and he didn't say anything but it sure looked like Neal Roll Eyes  Why do you think I got one of them club shirts with my name on it?  So I can remember who I am. Grin

Rich (Yep, I just looked at my shirt)

Embarrassed

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 06/06/04 at 15:57:33
Quote Print Post  
Ok Rick.   Wink

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/04 at 04:22:33
Quote Print Post  
Nobody told me about how much crouching and "squating" a guy does in 6 hours of taking off slimers, baiting hooks with worms, and cheering on those little guys at their level!  My legs muscles are killing me today!  Dang, it's hard getting old!

But wasn't it a blast!  Kids squeeling with delight, moms and dads cheering, killing slimers, blood and slime dripping down your elbows...  doesn't get any better!

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/17/04 at 04:22:12
Quote Print Post  
yEAH IT DOES. TRY BEING ON A GILLNET BOAT AT 2 IN THE MOURNING WITH JELLYFISH STING YOU IN THE EYES. SOUNDS LIKE A LIFE HUH. SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT THOUGH.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/17/04 at 17:43:28
Quote Print Post  
Yeah i do have to say that it was worth getting up so early to help those kids. It also helped get me an A on my project so no complaints here.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Fishing Kids Event - Thank You
Reply #7 - 06/22/04 at 00:50:21
Quote Print Post  
Here's a "Thank You" note the Cast For Kids organization recieved.  It applies to those of us who were there:

My sister and brother-in-law along with my partner and myself had signed up our boys aged 6 & 5 to be part of the Cast for Kids day at Coulon Beach Park on Saturday, June 5.
My sister and brother-in-law are foster parents who not only take long term foster placements but also emergency placements.  What emergency placement means is that kids that need to be removed from an unhealthy situation right now must have a temporary place to go until DHSH has had time to see if there might be relatives available and stable enough for the child to go with long term.
That was the situation this week when they got a young boy.  We weren't sure how long he would be there, hearing that it may be for only a day or two at first, then having it extended for through weekend. 
He is such a sweet, sensitive boy that felt much comfort from the camaraderie my sister's boys and my son that we were dreading the thought of having him be left out of the fishing derby that they were so excited about.  It was Friday when they learned he would stay the weekend and of course your event was filled up.
On the off chance that I could reach someone I called and left a voicemail about our situation not really expecting anyone to respond in time.  I can only imagine how busy everyone was the day before.  But not only did I get a response within a few hours, I got a wonderful, compassionate response.
Laura, who I understand is your daughter, called and left a voicemail with the number to the Cast for Kids line but also her cell number and a request that I call her back on either number and that she was anxious to talk to me about this.  I called her back as soon as I got in and was able to reach her.  I explained the situation and without hesitation said yes, there was room for him.  Not only that, but that it was complimentary.  Now, the fee that is charged is below minimal for what you offer to the kids but the sentiment behind her offer was profound. 
This little boy had never fished before and this day was, I believe, a day he will remember for the rest of his life.  He caught his fish and his face was full of pride.  He didn't want to get them cleaned because he wanted to keep them, we believe, to show his mom who he will be going back to next week.  He's going home with his T-shirt, lanyard, lots of photos, and his fish.
It could have been so different and just another disappointment in his young life, but thanks to your daughter it is a wonderful day for him to remember. 
We appreciate not only the fact that we were able to benefit from Laura's compassion but that you have raised a wonderful young woman who, I'm sure, impacts many people with her kindness as does your organization. 
Thank-you to Laura and all of the volunteers (they were all so nice and ready to help) who were on-hand to assist with the day.  It really does make a difference in kids lives.

Sincerely,
Kerri Winans

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/04 at 01:45:56
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Glenn,  I have been paid in FULL for my time.

Rich

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/04 at 02:12:02
Quote Print Post  
I second that motion!!!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/22/04 at 17:33:14
Quote Print Post  
Jim Ownes, Laura Ownes, congratulation on your year round efforts, and volunteers...goes to show that anybody can be an angle in disguise, that day there were about 70 angles, (69... I'm a fallen angle)
You just don't know who you'll reach and how deep! great job guys!! Cheesy

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/22/04 at 23:56:11
Quote Print Post  
Wouldn't it better to be an "angel", rather an "angle"?  Sometimes my kids suggest my head is filled with 90 degree angles, (meaning I'm square), but... I'd rather be called an angel!  

Sorry Virgil, couldn't help pulling your leg!  Do I sound like your 2nd grade grammer teacher?  Grammar? Grammer? hmmm....

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/23/04 at 06:17:14
Quote Print Post  
No, you sound like my upper high school grammer teacher still trying to teach me 2nd grade grammer. that and you didn't use red ink!
   Ps. my 2nd grade teacher gave up and passed me anyways! Now i is a bass fisherman ! Undecided

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo