Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) RCW 77.15.210 (Read 4685 times)
Rich
Ex Member

RCW 77.15.210
05/21/04 at 15:49:28
Quote Print Post  
This is the RCW that governs the rights of fishermen to fish around docks, etc. on lakes.  My curiosity was peaked while fishing with Virgil last week and watching his BP go up as he verbally duked it out with some smart-a&&ed kids that didn't want us fishing around their dock.

Subsequently, I wrote to WDFW and got the following reply.

Dear Mr. Loth:

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

There is no law that allows you to fish around docks, but there is no law that prohibits you from fishing there, provided you are fishing from a vessel, the vessel is not anchored, tied to shore, or otherwise trespassing. Lakefront owners may own the lake bed in front of their property (unless the lake is a "navigable water, " but that is a wholly different discussion),  but they do not own the water column, nor the fish in it. Thus, while you may not trespass on the property (to wit, the bed of the lake), you can float in the water and fish. If you are legally fishing, and a property owner interferes with your fishing, the property owner is breaking the law. Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish or wildlife, RCW 77.15.210, is a gross misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000, a year in jail, or both.

If you need further clarification on this rule, you can contact Evan Jacoby directly as follows:

Evan Jacoby, Counsel
Fish and Wildlife Legal Services
(360) 902-2930

This is the RCW:

RCW 77.15.210
Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife -- Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or

(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.

(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000, a year in jail, or both.

I am going to try to make some small cards, 3"x4" that we can have in boats or tackle boxes and give these to persons that need to be informed of our RIGHTS.

Rich

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: RCW 77.15.210
Reply #1 - 05/21/04 at 16:22:33
Quote Print Post  
Excellent job, Rich! That letter is just the thing we need. Although, I think some of these homeowners are so stubborn they will still argue.

Thanks for posting that. I will definitely be making some copies.

Chris

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/21/04 at 16:37:26
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,  I am sure that you are right but at least by giving them a copy of this RCW if they do continue to harrass a fisherman then we really have a case to call the WSP or whomever.

It would also make for a better case if it got to court.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/04 at 16:54:32
Quote Print Post  
That is sweet. We need a few copies in the boat to pass out to the a-holes that act like children when it comes to angling around their docks. I was with Daryl Snodgrass once on Washington. This guy actually had a pile of wood to throw at boaters. Obviously we had some hurled at us.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/04 at 17:05:59
Quote Print Post  
Getting stuff thrown at an officer of the law?  ??? That calls for instant "Police Court, Trial, and 9MM Justice". Shocked  Well I suppose I'm kidding a little bit, but I have been know to call the PD when a certain anal oriface started driving golf balls directly at us on LK. WA. Angry

Smitty
  Wink

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/21/04 at 17:20:03
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

I'll take one or two if you have some to spare. Then I can make copies of them. Thanks a million for checking on this then Doug,Faz, and I can give to the water spray lady at the U-Bay dock we fish. She is a "B--ch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RB

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/04 at 17:43:55
Quote Print Post  
I will have a bunch of 3x4's with the RCW stuff on them with me at functions, ie. fishins, meetings and tourneys.  See me and I will give everyone some to carry with you.

Rich

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/21/04 at 22:39:16
Quote Print Post  
That is very interesting. I had a similar encounter when I was hunting.

I was legally hunting on DNR land in Puget Sound waters. I have hunted the area for five years. There are some houses behind us set back from a 200 foot bank. They are very far back and cannot be seen when you are hunting. Legal property line is mean low tide mark. We are in 15 feet of water,well past the line.One day a guy started balst a horn.Every time a bird would come near us he would crack off a blast. That only lasted three blasts and I turned around and hollered choice words. He continued. I threatened to call police. He continued. I called police he stopped. The police visited the residence, he actually shouted his address to me. They told me there was nothing they could do. They read every RCW that they could and found none that said he could not blow a horn on his property.

I was very bumbed that we could not press charges. I did a little of my own investigating and found that IF the person is on there own, private, and you are on public they are not herassing you by yelling, shouting, blowing horns. Anything verbal. If they threaten your life or property, then it becomes herassment. They cannot throw, shoot, launch or come in contact with you. Basically a direct interference. They can yell and cuss all they want. IF the person is on public property and you  also then they cannot interfere at all.

I had several game wardens look into this and they all said the same thing. They told me that it would make a very interesting case in court if it ever went that far.

The "horn guy" definatly did some research before he started his tooting. He know there is nothing that they can do. I just hope he throws a rock at me!

The cards will help a lot of people. I think it will scare most people off and they will leave us alone. I had a great one awhile back on Samm. She limped back with her tail between her legs after she did'nt get me to leave. I just stayed right in front of her dock and continued to fish.

Best.

Mike

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/22/04 at 02:58:57
Quote Print Post  
Rich, I gonna tattoo this on my arm and write it down on my boat.  You rock!!!  I would have never thought to look up the WAC.  I will sleep good tonight!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 05/24/04 at 02:21:41
Quote Print Post  
There's also a follow-up RCW that allows you to collect damages (e.g. "Sue") somebody if they are successfully conviced of RCW 77.15.210 .  Been a long time since I looked it up, so I don't remember the number.  But it's something like RCW 77.15.215 or RCW 77.15.220 or something similar.

Rich, perhaps you could find it.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/24/04 at 14:52:26
Quote Print Post  
Well you were close Glenn,  I don't know what kind of damages you could claim but your lawyer would be paid.  Maybe a few actual court cases would help our cause and get the word out.  You would probably need some witnesses to back up your case.

Rich

RCW 77.15.212
Damages due to violation of RCW 77.15.210 -- Civil action.
Any person who is damaged by any act prohibited in RCW 77.15.210 may bring a civil action to enjoin further violations, and recover damages sustained, including a reasonable attorneys' fee. The trial court may increase the award of damages to an amount not to exceed three times the damages sustained. A party seeking civil damages under this section may recover upon proof of a violation by a preponderance of the evidence. The state of Washington may bring a civil action to enjoin violations of this section.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/24/04 at 16:57:48
Quote Print Post  
What's nice about civil court is you don't have to have proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" like criminal cases. That's where the "prepoderance of the evidence" fits in. You just have to a preponderant (outweighing, overbalancing) amount of evidence, like O.J. trial.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/26/04 at 00:16:18
Quote Print Post  
also need to remember you can not leave this post card on their dock without their permission touching their dock is trespassing. Undecided

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo