Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Big Bass???? (Read 5836 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Big Bass????
05/04/04 at 01:33:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey All,

I've been reading all the posts about fish on beds or not on beds and was wondering have you really found spawning fish? Is the spawn over at your favorite lake?

I doubt it! From my experience the major spawn at most small lakes hasn't even begun. Your probably saying right now, "but I see beds with no fish on them, they must be done." You need to take a closer look. Real close. Most of the big females for i.e. are spawning in deeper water, thats why there big ( 7-10lbs) or they are some where close by.

Remember all those males you are catching right now that are so aggresive that they will even hit a cigar with hooks if you place it near them. Well those fish are waiting for that big sow to mate with. You know those sows, the ones where you are fishing a bank and don't see anything until she cruises out from under that bush or dock right in front of you.

From my experience around the nation and here just be patient. In the next two to six weeks the dinner bell will ring for you and you will be glad you read this post.

Good Luck,
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Big Bass????
Reply #1 - 05/04/04 at 04:29:10
Quote Print Post  
I can't speak for western washington, but I just got back from a weekend of fishing a couple of small lakes in the Okanogan, and the bass were spawning hot and heavy. Many beds were seen and fish were locked into them. This hot weather has moved the spawn up a couple of weeks over there.

But - I think that you have a good point, Russ. A lot of the fish around here spawn at the same time every year no matter what the water temperature, and that is on average a couple of weeks from now.

Chris

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/04/04 at 05:30:53
Quote Print Post  
Russ,
  All the fish I have been catching are largemouth in lake sawyer, but are not bedded yet.  They are just laying in a foot of water soaking up the sun.  Once I spot a fish I watch it for a while to see if it is cruising or just holding to one spot.  It it is holding to one spot, I have been able to catch it.  I caught 4 more today.  All in the 2.5 to 3lb class.  If the fish is cruising a small area, I have had no luck with working the fish into stiking.  But these are definitely NOT bedding fish.

mark

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/04/04 at 08:13:27
Quote Print Post  
On Spencer there were some fish on beds with eggs, it seemed that the spawn had just started as many of the fish had not bedded up yet,

And just like Mark said if they were holding to a spot then you could work them into a bite. but if not then forget it

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 05/04/04 at 13:12:28
Quote Print Post  
The beds we saw on Sammamish were the beginnings of beds.  I never thought for a minute they spawned yet.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/04 at 13:29:44
Quote Print Post  
Great post, but don't forget the effect of the moon phase on the spawn.  We are approaching the full moon which historically triggers the spawn response after everything else is right.  Another interesting tidbit I learned last year, fishing the C.A.S.T. tourney the week after we hit Bnaks in late June is that Banks has a couple of spawns.  Not all the fish spawn at the same time so expect to find bedding fish clear into June.
Kirk

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/05/04 at 00:06:59
Quote Print Post  
Well down here in my neck of the woods the some of the males are on the bed like glue, but as for the females I've only seen 2 that wouldn't leave the nest. Most of them are cruising on the first break line.  Brian (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/04 at 04:57:40
Quote Print Post  
Hey, it's WeedWalker! I just got in from testing the boat on Lk. Washington for the first time this year. It wouldn't run last Friday, but I figured it out. Also got a nice 3.0 Smallie. I have seen and caught female LM that were pre-spawn on July 1st, some years ago. It was Lk. Desire, E. Renton. There were 4 or 5 big females cruising together, around some reeds, pilings and lilly pads. My interpretation was that they were looking for the boys. Two found my Gitzit, deftly pitched onto a lilly pad and pulled off in front of them. They were 4-2 and 3-13. I got another, earlier, that was 3-0. Not a bad lake. It was my first time on the lake!
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #8 - 05/05/04 at 12:57:33
Quote Print Post  
  To Marks point,  Lake Sawyer, in certain areas is nearly impossible to see a LM bed.  The grass where some spawn is the bed.  There are no markings or "CIRCLE" to even see.  I've caught bedding fish there where you have to only assume that he's gaurding a nest whether you see one or not.  Terry and I hit Steele Lk. last spring in mid May and the beds were vacant and the Dads were with the fry under docks.  We didn't catch a single bedding fish but several were caught when you pitched something at the fry.  My opinion,  each lake is different and each situation ie, water depth, fishing pressure, clarity, and weather all play a role.  One things for sure though, I agree with Kirk as studies show that a full moon certainly plays a key role.  One more thing,  NEVER TRY A BITSY BUG ON BEDDING BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!    RON

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/04 at 23:52:38
Quote Print Post  
That moon phase aspect Kirk brought up is a good point. That could be the final facter these fish are waiting for after everythings set up. I'm not sure why. I though I read something about the light at night on a full moon or something. I was on Sammamish on Fri, and those fish weren't locked by any means. They were close though. I caught one smallmouth on a bed. Jim said he saw a lot of fry on Spencer though. Anyhow, it is pretty close. And to me, it seems like before you know it, they spawn and are off the beds. Good point Kirk.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/08/04 at 02:17:20
Quote Print Post  
I have been fishing 14 of the last 15 days, mostly Sammamish. I can tell you that the SM are on beds. Have been for two weeks. I would say that 30% of the fish that I am catching are fish I spotted and caught. They were very aggresive. Ranging 2-3.5# I have seen lots of smaller males that are sitting but I don't really go for them. In fact on Tues. We watched a pair spawning. I have noticed that the lake is further along in some areas. I even found several nice LM on beds yesterday 3-5# range. Saw several others bigger cruising.

SM on Sawyer are also well underway. That lake is very funny because I have seen fish spawn under the same dock in the same spot year after year. I went there Monday and ran around to see if the fish are home. One home owner even named his fish, "Jack". He said that it had been there a week. We threw everything at it. Jack is tough because he likes to pick you up by the tail and run you between two pilings. Same thing he did the last two years. Well I let my friend work him for an hour with no luck. I joined in the hunt and got a few taps but no solid pick ups. Did I mention you have to skip your bait half way to Texas under this dock? Well Jack finally fell victom to "pinky". My favorite SM bed bait. Jeff lost him as quick as he got him and we retired to the launch under darkness.

I did have my best day ever on Lake Sammamish on Wed. I boated 17 keepers with only four or five being under the 2# mark. Several in the 3# and big fish being a 4.3 LM. I really wanted to get 20 but fell short because it got dark. That was all in the last 5 hours of the day. 3:30-8:30.

Mike

IP Logged

djKale
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/08/04 at 07:00:24
Quote Print Post  
I fished Sammy last week with a couple of buddies and pulled almost all the fish we caught off beds. We saw a few fish paired up too. We fished the creek by Marymoor and they were everywhere.

The spawn has been on in Steilacoom for a couple of weeks as well. I managed to get a 5lb 10oz female to gulp down my gitzit last week. She was a hawg!

The bigger, deeper lakes like Sammy and Washington take a while to warm while the smaller lakes warm up quicker triggering the fish to spawn sooner. This also means the fish will be spawning for a longer (or shorter) period of time...

It's a great time to be bassin!!!

Kale

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/12/05 at 02:23:16
Quote Print Post  
I read an old article in Bassmaster about bedding smallies. Here were some neat facts.

-Smallies are more prone to have their spawn trashed by bad weather or flooding factors.

-40% of the mature smallies won't bed, even in ideal conditions.

-Smallies don't need as much heat to incubate their eggs so they can get away with spawing deeper. Avg is 10-15 ft, and they rarely spawn shallower than 6ft.

-They will spawn in water temps from 58 to low 70's.
   -I think that was right

-Smallies can scare off thier beds easier and won't return as often.
« Last Edit: 01/12/05 at 16:38:49 by »  

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/12/05 at 14:41:29
Quote Print Post  
I would agree with all those factoids but one.  I frequently see spawning beds as shallow as 2', though I realize that many spawn much deeper than that.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo