Normal Topic April Heaven (Read 4230 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

April Heaven
03/08/04 at 23:48:19
Quote Print Post  
Fellas,
I have to agree with Russ on the Potholes v. Silver in April.  After having competed many times succesfully in the April Silver Lake WBC Open, I would have to argue that the weather completely takes the blue ribbon here.  I cannot recall a trip to Silver without my Alaskan survival suit, but just last year at Potholes, was in shorts, with a cool beverage, at the ramp watching the second flight weigh-in.  At Silver in April, I have had to brush off the snow, hide from the wind, and generally convince myself that I love the rain.  Sorry, this is not so much about the fishing, but those intangibles relative to one of lifes greatest pursuits.  I am not sure who stated in the string that "anybody can catch fish at Potholes", but that is perfectly fine with this angler.  I want to catch fish in April.  I can catch them in Silver, just have a better time doin' it in relative comfort.  In fact, some trivia....Name the angler who last caught a limit on Silver Lake in a WBC April Event.

Kirk
2003 Angler-of-the-Year

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: April Heaven
Reply #1 - 03/09/04 at 00:59:04
Quote Print Post  
Amen Kirk!!

You couldn't have said it any better. The weather over in your neck of the wood s looks like it is shaping up to the warmer side. I know of no one who has caught a limit of keeper fish from our club in any tournament in that lake in quite some time. My best one day limit fun fishing back in 92 was over 30lbs for 6 fish. Of coarse that is when there was milfoil and the spawn was on hot and heavy. I haven't repeated that feat since. My last big fish there was in 1996 and she was a 7-2 hawg.
Good to hear from ya Kirk. Looking forward to seeing you at the holes.
Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 03/09/04 at 00:59:30
Quote Print Post  
For many, Kirk & Russ, it's not a matter of what lake to fish, but rather, wanting to fish with the members of this club.

Agreed Potholes is better.  Heck, the first bass in the Ranger was a 3 1/2 pound smally caught in Potholes in early April.  But I enjoy being with and around the club members more than chasing the chance of cashing in a check - regardless of rain, wind, or cold.

I'm not slamming you or anybody else for going to Potholes.  Just letting ya know why I'll be at Silver, even though the fishing, weather, and accomodations are better at Potholes.  Kapeesh?

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/04 at 01:21:01
Quote Print Post  
There goes GotFive tootin' his own horn again! Ya, ya Kirk... every once in a while that little point has a limit on it  Grin But - your limit on Silver Lake was very impressive. In fact, I was talking with Ron about it the other day. What year was that? I am guessing 1999.

It looks like there is going to be a good showing of WBC members at both tournaments... so hopefully we'll see some folks showing how it's done on both sides of the state!!!

Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/04 at 04:27:09
Quote Print Post  
Good thing is....we can fish the opens...whichever we choose and still fish the WBC tourney the next weekend!.....We just hope to Sore Lip all the bigguns first!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/04 at 05:52:51
Quote Print Post  
I'm the guilty party, who commented anyone can catch fish at Pot Holes.  Its a friendly jab because of my jealousy at not knowing the lake well enough to fish a money tournament there.  I'm still in the JV squad when it comes to fishing against most all you big guns in the club,  but I really enjoy fishing with all the club members.  Bottom lines is I hope everyone has a great time and catches a lot of fish.  Just a few less ounces than I do at Silver.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/04 at 22:37:21
Quote Print Post  
Doug,

At the potholes tourney if you don't have 15lbs the first day you might as well go fish the Silver Tournament.
Russ

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/09/04 at 23:21:23
Quote Print Post  
Hey Kirk,

I was wondering about you the other day. I was up in your area visiting a Kittitas Sherrif, he's a friend Wink.  Did you get your bull this year? I have been wondering about that off and on. Dave and the gang did not get theirs. They were right up in your area though.

By the way. Shannon, remember her, is going to be at the potholes tourney. Could be interesting. Grin

I'd love to hear how your season (hunting) went.

Mike

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/04 at 21:18:35
Quote Print Post  
Mike,
We had a blast tootin' up nice bulls....but agast they proved once again smarter than myself and my partners.  Of course after thoughts tell me that I should have put the hot pursuit on rather than try to get him completely in.  It was great, thanks for asking.  I am looking forward to next year already and fishin' has not even started yet!!!!  The bull I was after was a dandy and we had him within 60 yds three different times.  Ugh!!   At any rate, I must be honest, I do miss fishing Silver as I have enjoyed the many hours of cold, miserable weather, but mostly the times in the cabins playing poker with the old timers.  YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!  I think that the Cowlitz County Vice Squad is still interested in talking to some of you.  There is some history there, Mike.  Something about bets higher than the GNP of certain third world countries comes to mind, pink slips and land titles.  At any rate, I look forward to seeing you and Shannon again.   

Chris, All those fish came from the Streeter Canal.  It was a cruddy day and I was following Shinkle around shooting the breeze with him and just flipping tubes and lizards and got lucky.  It was 1997 as a matter of fact.  It was so funny, I landed two of those fish without Ed even knowing about it.  I miss not having him around. 
Take Care.

Kirk

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo