Normal Topic Senkos vs. "other leading brands" (Read 3025 times)
Bax
Ex Member

Senkos vs. "other leading brands"
02/12/04 at 22:49:39
Quote Print Post  
I've been finding several Senko "type" baits out there like Stick-O (Bass Pro Shop), Hawg Caller (Cabela's), Tiki baits and another called "Benko".  I've fished with Senkos in the past and had success.  Are Senkos more expensive because of the name or are they indeed a better bait?  Also what color(s) would be recommended to start stocking a somewhat empty tackle box.

Thanks

Don B.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Senkos vs. "other leading brands"
Reply #1 - 02/13/04 at 00:19:58
Quote Print Post  
Howdy Bax,

I haven't tried any of the senko knockoffs yet, but I have seen some good results from other people using the Tiki Stick.

Using the Yamamoto color chart, I can offer a few basic colors. I would recommend owning a couple of darker colors and a couple of lighter colors. That's all you need. I like:

#214, Bluegill.
#150, Smoke w/ pepper
#194, Watermelon w/ pepper
#136, Clear w/ Silver flake

Those should catch you a fish just about anywhere.

Enjoy,
Chris

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/04 at 00:53:59
Quote Print Post  
I pour my own because I couldn't afford to keep spending that much for senkos.  I even use other unwanted plastic baits to melt down and pour them into the molds I made.  Believe me, the fish don't seem to know the differnce.  Some may sink a little slower and some a little faster - but not enough to stop the fish from inhailing them!

It's true that Senko has a special way to put a high salt content in the mix.  They claim it makes the fish hold onto it longer, but that's also what makes it so easy to tear.  That's good for business!  Sells baits!

Believe me - the salt may be a tiny factor in the bait, but the main factor is that it is a slow vertical presentation.  Some of the guys in our club have used the french-fry style bait for years which does the same thing and they do real well!  The real ingredient is confidence!  I encourage you to pick up some of the copies and save some money!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/04 at 04:15:47
Quote Print Post  
I picked up some Tiki Stix in Spannaway, and they are a good bait. Still not what I would call "cheap".  In general, Green Pumpkin is a great color for craws, lizards and Senko's. Also smoke/blk. flake, and clear/blk flake.  I won't say that I  don't have other colors, but those are the ones that always end up getting wet.  8)

I do kinda like using real Senkos, just because Yamamoto invented the type. By the time I'm done with the nose, the tail and the middle, I may have caught 6-10 fish on the same one. Then again, sometimes the first fish will shake off a brand new Senko, and it's gone. I'm going to try the "O'ring Rig" for Whackying the Senko....seems like it should help a lot. When the fish are active, Whacky Rigging is great fun. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/04 at 05:19:50
Quote Print Post  
I just found a really great price on 5" Tiki Sticks at this website:  http://www.hookerztackle.com/pgtikistik5inch.html

At $3 for a pack of 10, they got my attention. Psstt! Green Pumpkin!! My experience is that this bait equals the real Senko. 
C&R, Steve
PS: I tried to run through an order...they use PayPal, which I have never done. Also, I could not order the standard colors correctly (I think)...got two colors at once, "first six colors, and second six colors"...haven't found a way around this, and can't get the email link to work, either. But the price is great, so if anybody gets it figured out, how about posting the solution?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo