Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lower Columbia. (Read 10089 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Lower Columbia.
09/22/03 at 02:28:42
Quote Print Post  
Hey Western....where were ya?
You can always tell the start of hunting season as the numbers at the Lower Columbia river were a might thin. But the fish helped out as we.......all twelve of us in 7 boats headed into the current and barge swells....for two wonderful days of camping and fishing WE will remember for a long time.
The standings are as follows....
1st. Daryl Snodgrass.....with bigfish also...17 lbs 4 oz and a big smally of 4lbs 5 oz.
2nd. Doug Booth with 13 lbs 14 oz. (1 LMB).
3rd. Larry Sullivan...zero Sat. 13 lbs 2 oz Sun.
4th. Mark Maderos...10 lbs 1 oz....SKAG BUSTER..ask him bout it!
5th. Rich Loth first top 5 finish! 9lbs 4 oz.
6th. Chris James....5lbs 10 oz. sight seeing Multnomah Falls!
7th. Terry Steffensen...5lbs 2 oz.
8th. Bob Brownlee....2lbs 8 oz.
9th. Jim Shaffer...1 lb 13 oz. Happy B-Day Backlash!
10th. Virgil Wilbur......1 lb 2 oz. Yes, I backseated him!
11th. Rich fazakerly....1 lb even.
12th. Sherry Shaffer....her captain backseated her big time!! Bad Jim....Bad Jim!!
A fun time had by all and a great Potluck as Western did what it famous for....Friendship and Fishin!
Even with all the bad water and tough fishing NOT ONE FISH DIED!....Er....Bass Fish..as a few Squawfish were returned to the food chain in chunk form!
And finally the lesson learned for the tournament............If you are going to help another angler with some lures he needs and he is leading the event....make sure you have enough for yourself...Right Mark?.....Nuff said....BYE.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Lower Columbia.
Reply #1 - 09/22/03 at 03:47:17
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like a great tournament.  Congrats Daryl - and Doug!  And Larry.. nice comeback!

We would've loved to have gone, but unfortunately I sucked up some sand into the engine while in Eastern Washington earlier in the week and damaged the water pump (I think).  The water pressure is too low to risk damaging the engine, so we had to bail. 

Really sorry we missed it, but glad ya'll had a good time on new water.  Hope your skag isn't in too bad a shape, Mark.  That really sucks.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/03 at 14:51:46
Quote Print Post  
Not to correct you in public Larry, but Chris toured the (spelling) Wollamit falls...30 less miles on his 30 mile run.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Willamette  Falls  
Reply #3 - 09/22/03 at 15:44:57
Quote Print Post  
It is spelled Willamette as in Willamette River.!  Good place to lose a lot of things besides a skeg if you don't know the water.  I've scraped my share of rocks up there.  And I use to work right above them.

Smitty

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/22/03 at 20:07:26
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the fast report, Larry. Seeing the low turnout, I wish I could have made it... Oh well, I haven't missed too many tourneys over the years.

It looks like some people figured the fish out, and I bet if we go back the weights will continue to get better!

Chris

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #5 - 09/24/03 at 03:33:03
Quote Print Post  
Hey Glenn,
   I saw you on Lake Wa. around 8:00 Sat. morning.   Shocked
Must have blown the sand out at the carwash cause you didn't take too many precautions once you was floatin on WaRshington.  Didn't see any problems with the boat as you blew by me at the north end of Mercer doing low 70's, I suspect
of course thats on the speedo, not the GPS 

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 09/24/03 at 04:05:55
Quote Print Post  
Actually, I was testing out the engine.  Sandy's Boat & Marine in Everett blew out the water passages and checked out the water pump, but didn't find anything unusual (except for a few grains of sand).  They honestly didn't know why I was seeing a low water reading. 

I asked for their opinion on whether or not I should take it down to the Columbia, and they recommended I take it out on the water and check the water pressure at WOT first.  They specifically advised I NOT go to the Columbia until we're sure everything is OK.  They said as long as I wasn't getting any alarms ( I wasn't), I should be ok for short runs.

So I ran it out on lake Washington to see if the pressure was still low (plus do a little fishing).  Turns out, the water pressure is still low (between 8-12 psi when it should be @ 20psi).  You probably saw me when I had it wide open, but I did run it at several different speeds.

Both Sandy's and Ranger now believe the guage may have gotten some sand in it and may be the problem, so Ranger is sending me a new guage.

Until then, I'm really not sure what the problem is, but Sandy's & Ranger tell me as long as I don't get any alarms (I'm not), I'm ok for short runs.  I hope to get the gauge this week, but if not, I'll still take it out this weekend - so long as I don't run it at WOT for very long.

I certainly hope that explains it for you.  If not, just let me know.

BTW, Russ Baker was launching the same time we were.  He raffled off his time as a "perch guide" for his church and was taking a family out for some fun. Keri & I thought that was pretty cool.

As for us, we didn't catch anything.  But we discovered a newly sunken ski boat, oil slick and all.  I called harbor patrol and they raised it and removed it within hours.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #7 - 09/24/03 at 04:11:15
Quote Print Post  
Glenn,

Chill out, man. I'm glad it is runnin' goOd. Lighten up, get some sleep.

pRez  8)

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #8 - 09/25/03 at 01:57:09
Quote Print Post  
Hey Glenn,
  Just kiddin' the other night.  Saw you on the lake and thought it would be kind of fun to mess with ya.  I've spent some time on the website the last couple weeks and the club(and YOU) should be proud of this site.  GREAT JOB GLENN!!@!!  The club is lucky to have you. Grin      Thanks Glenn,        PREZ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 09/25/03 at 13:16:33
Quote Print Post  
Thanks!!   Grin

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/25/03 at 14:12:29
Quote Print Post  
GLEN for prez in 2004!!  We need you dude Kiss

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/25/03 at 16:03:39
Quote Print Post  
or maybe T.D.? huh huh?

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #12 - 09/26/03 at 03:55:30
Quote Print Post  
TEXT
Hey Glenn,  you can't be 2 places at once.  If you want to run the tournies and noone else comes forward,  I'll run the Prez spot again if the club will have me again.  I just can't commit that I'll make every tournament.  Let me know what you're thinking gang.    PREZ ???

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/26/03 at 13:40:49
Quote Print Post  
Prez,

I would not like to have you again.

Thanks,
Chris  Shocked

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #14 - 09/27/03 at 03:40:11
Quote Print Post  
TEXT
Hey Sarge,
  I just had a really great idea!  Quit the club, you bad seed you!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo