Normal Topic Potholes still kicking out fish (Read 2134 times)
kholmes
Ex Member

Potholes still kicking out fish
06/05/03 at 16:22:04
Quote Print Post  
All,
The family and I have hit Potholes and Scootney recently and fishing has been stellar at both locations.  As most of you know I am a huge fan of Scootney, located south of Othello on hwy 17 for the new members, and Liz and I caught 31 bass, (only 2 dinks) over 6 hours of fishing, highlighted by a set of twin 4.5oz SM.  We also caught 6 LM up to 3lbs.  Spoke to an angler that I recognized on the lake and he had a 7+ largemouth his son was taking photos of.  Just a superb day on the lake.
As for Potholes, this place is a factory, I have never seen it better!!  Hit the same hut that I tagged the 5+ LM during our tourney and we caught 6 LM up to 4.5lbs.  Total blast.  Caught a number of SM (too many to count) in the 3lb range and I must apologize to my wife, as I knocked perhaps the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen from the end of her line.  She has finally forgiven me, I think, as I no longer am eating mustard sandwiches for lunch at work.  I am lousy at estimating fish size near the boat, as I am a WBC fisherman and everything lost at the boat is a kicker, well over 7lbs, but I will say it was over 5lbs.  Just a fabulous spring for the Holmes family fishing adventures this year. 
As a side note, the difficulties I had regarding my 200 EFI during the Potholes event turned out to be a short on one of the two leads to the top of my fuel pump.  I was some concerned that I would have to take the boat to Nixons for a looksie, but the head mechanic, Grant, gave me some things to look for, and lo and behold, I found the loose lead, made a repair, and am good to go. 
Kirk

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Potholes still kicking out fish
Reply #1 - 06/06/03 at 18:26:31
Quote Print Post  
Reminds me of how it used to be back in the late 80's.  It seems most lakes go through cycles.  I'm glad Potholes is back, and envious you live so close to it.   Grin

Glad to hear your ride is back in tip-top shape.  Looking forward to seeing ya at Banks!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/25/03 at 16:15:40
Quote Print Post  
Caleb and I made a little detour on the way home from Banks.  We stopped at Potholes and fished Monday.  We just fished the dam during the evening and had a great time with the top water bite.  I was throwing a chug bug and it was amazing.  I would rarely go 5 casts without a hit.  Our best was a 3.6 smallie followed by a 3.1.  Most of it occurred in a 45 minute period just before sunset.  We caught a bunch of smaller fish with senkos and hula grubs.  Water temp was 71 to 72.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/03 at 22:05:32
Quote Print Post  
Again, I visited Potholes on Monday June 9th.  Lots of current being pulled, fish were very active on top near the dam and rock wall near the Lind Coulee launch.  THe highlight of the day was my largest fish ever on topwater.  A 5-4 largemouth!!!!  A great day.  Best before the sun came up too high.  Ran up Crab Creek to the Moses inlet.  They were dumping lots of water in, and the fishing there was not as good as I had expected.  Saw lots of fish cruising near huts, but could not entice, save for a couple of fish.  Very hot weather, pulled off the lake around noon.  Great day.
KH

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo