Normal Topic Banks Lake (Read 2698 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

Banks Lake
06/04/03 at 16:14:07
Quote Print Post  
Fished Banks on Sunday and Monday.  First time there, so I talk to Larry S. before I headed out there.  He gave a few places to start.  Thanks Larry.  First wind swept point I hit.  5 casts, 3 small mouth.  All 13 to 15 inches on tubes.  Moved to the shallow bays to look for Lrg and seen hundreds of bedding smls.  Caught to many to count.  Alot of fun.  Worked some other smallie stuff and caught some here and there.  Then really concentrated on the lrg mouth.  Finally zeroed in on them by the end of the day.  Second day out I refined the lrg mouth pattern even more and caught a nice limit of lrg topped off by a 3 1/2 pound right before I left.  Key was throwing senko's and deadsticking them or rigged wacky for an extra slow fall.   The fish were buried in the cover and  VERY spooky.
  Can't wait to fish the tourney.
Mark

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Banks Lake
Reply #1 - 06/05/03 at 05:22:01
Quote Print Post  
Good job Mark!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/03 at 14:55:54
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like fun, Mark! If you stay with those fish come tournament day, you'll be right at the top!

Chris

IP Logged

kholmes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/03 at 16:08:44
Quote Print Post  
Full moon coming up on June 14th.  Spawn should be in full swing for the next few weeks.  I would be interested in knowing what sort of clarity Mark identified during his trip to Banks.  It has been years since I could sight fish Banks in my favorite areas due to algae and wind generated cloudiness in the water.  I have found that historically, the larger smallmouth spawn deeper, sometimes to 12-15 feet.  Obviously this protects them from direct fishing pressure, unless the clarity is good.  I am planning a trip on Friday the 6th to Banks to check it out for myself.  Thanks for the Post Mark, good fishing.
Kirk

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 06/06/03 at 18:28:18
Quote Print Post  
Woo hoo!!  Can't wait for Banks!!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/03 at 05:44:42
Quote Print Post  
Two of the bays I hit were VERY clear, and visibility was down to 8ft.  The two other bays I did well in were wind blown and very dirty.  Caught lrg in both types of conditions.  The smls were caught all in clear water conditions.
  Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo