Normal Topic Bass fishin' for the Buoyancy-Challanged (Read 4066 times)
Skeptic
Ex Member

Bass fishin' for the Buoyancy-Challanged
03/10/03 at 19:00:20
Quote Print Post  
Just throwin' this out there . . .

Are there any suggestions to a new member who wants to get some hours of Bassin' in, doesn't have a boat, and thinks the weeks between Fish-ins seem longer than a chick-flick?

I loved the first Fish(Freeze)-in in March (thanks to Newbie Chris).  I wanted to know if there are any good lakes (preferably around Kent East-Hill) where a person who doesn't have a boat can throw some lures?  I know this is a long shot and may seem like a stupid question, but hey, I'm Boatless.

Also, are there videos available for people who've only used spinning reels and haven't tried (successfully) to cast on a casting reel?  Sorry Ron H., I borrowed your rod and reel and the only thing I've attracted is a small family of sparrows who've decided that the nest I've made for them is more comfy than a natural one.

Thanks,

Ray Patricio

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Bass fishin' for the Buoyancy-Challanged
Reply #1 - 03/11/03 at 02:24:33
Quote Print Post  
Hey Ray, Welcome to Western and it was great seeing you at Sawyer. I can recommend a close by lake as Lake Sawyer has some open area on the far side where, if your willing to hoof it a little you can take the horse trails behind the lake which puts you where the canals come into the lake...it has some access but the fish might not be that shallow yet. As for a video I like several...the In-Fisherman series....not the show ones but the Basics series are a fine choice and anything by Doug Hannon....The Bass Professor...they show lots of basic approaches and Hannon shows alot of bass behavior from underwater cams. I do like the Larry Nixon series too. And finally to help you cast I like to set a piece of Plywood on top of two tires....to simulate elevation on a boat and set up butter bowls full of water around the front yard.......it seems hokie but I quarantee it will give you what you need.....Time on the Water without the water. Mechanics come with practice and time.....time to log some hours. Hope this helps and anytime you want to get fishing, remember to just call around the club My # 1-(253) 630-3988.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/11/03 at 03:24:41
Quote Print Post  
Hey Ray, there are a number of smaller lakes just off Petrovisky Rd,  they will start to pick up as the weather gets warmer.  Also you can rent a leaky tub at Kapowsin after opening day.  I will be doing some daytime fishing between 3/22 and 3/30.  It's the quarter change at school and I have daycare so shoot me out a call.  Also I'm waiting for your call about the e-mail questions you had.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/11/03 at 05:44:22
Quote Print Post  
Howdy Ray,

There are a few good lakes in your area with shore access. One I would recommend is Lake Fenwick. It's not quite East Hill of Kent, but not a far drive. It's near the golf course in Downtown Kent. There is a ton of shore access there, you can fish almost the entire length of the lake... not much considering it is only around 15 acres. There are some big largemouth in there, though, so it is worth a try.

Also, give the public docks at Lake Meridian a try once our weather warms up. There are always a bunch of people casting to trout at the end of the docks, but the lily pads nearshore definitely have largemouth in them.

I am remembering how it feels to be buoyancy-challenged now, too. I just sold my boat back to Ron H a couple of days ago, and it feels lonely inside  Cry  Grin Don't be shy to ask other members for a ride. Most of them are more than willing to take people out!

Chris

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/11/03 at 15:59:09
Quote Print Post  
Ray, keep puting yourself out there like you're doing...thats how alot of us got started. Give me a call as well if you have any ???'s Real good advice up above. V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Skeptic
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/03 at 19:34:46
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the advice!!

I may take Doug up on some days between the 22nd and 30th.  I will call Doug soon to ask for help w/casting as well.

Late Summer into mid-Fall last year I tried to fish for Bass at Lake Fenwick and at Lake Meridian (on the South Shore Lily Pads near the Fishing/Swimming Dock) w/o any luck.  I'm sure I wasn't doing the right thing (lures, presentation, prayers/offerings to the Bass Deity).  I'm sure after a few outings, when the lily pads come back, and after the water heats up, I'll be more successful.  I really think the key to shore fishing for bass may be the water heat and structure.  We'll see.

I also watch about 4 hrs of fishing every Mon. night trying to pick up tips.  I'll get this someday!!!

Thanks all!!  Lots of good advice.  I know I ask a lot but I'm eager to catch my first Bass.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/12/03 at 02:44:32
Quote Print Post  
Hey Skeptic,
Do you have a float tube? Because if you do you should hit Lake Morton on the East Hill of Kent in late April-to mid May. Its a small lake full of Big largemouth up to 8 lbs. Your best shot would be to float down to the south end of the lake and fish the docks and pads. last year I hit it during the spawn and caught several in the 4-5 lb class.
Good Luck, Russ

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/12/03 at 16:37:17
Quote Print Post  
Ahhh, Monday night fishing on the Outdoor Channel. Just don't take any of those tips from Shelley and Courtney too seriously...  Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/03 at 02:21:09
Quote Print Post  
SHELLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYY.......AND....COURRRRRRTTTTTTNNNNNNNEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.................................
.................................sorry, what were you saying.....

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/03 at 05:38:09
Quote Print Post  
Any chance of booking Shelley and Courtney for May's entertainment!  Once they go bass they won't go back.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo