Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Secret" tips (Read 6820 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

"Secret" tips
09/14/02 at 02:28:37
Quote Print Post  
As many of you know, I throw spinnerbaits a lot. As such, there's been many occasions where I've been asked to show somebody how to fish spinnerbaits.
I've been out with quite a few people over the years, and almost always the number one thing I see they can do to improve their hook-up ratio is to start casting side-arm. I see so many people throwing spinnerbaits overhand which results in a big splashdown and spooked bass. Instead, use a side-arm cast and thumb the reel just before the bait hits the water. With practice, the spinnerbait can hit the water as gentle as a flipped jig. Just doing this will add bass to your livewell.

Good luck!

P.S. What's your bass fishing tip?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: "Secret" tips
Reply #1 - 10/17/02 at 20:54:57
Quote Print Post  
Great subject Glenn, and mine is.....when fishing a Carolina rig or a Split Shot rig it is common that people will drag these rigs along at a good clip and at times get short hit or not hit at all, if this is happening or you have had a weather change...try just fan casting an area and retrieving your rigs by just lifting and dropping slowly and maybe add a shake to the rig to get your bait to "hop" or "twitch" This concentrated slower approach can sometimes get those apprehensive fish to bite more often. p.s......if you are fishing a bank behind someone who is dragging.......this can be deady as a "clean-up" bait for fish they missed. Might make the angler you are fishing behind a little mad though!

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/01/02 at 07:42:03
Quote Print Post  
Lately since it has been cold, I've tried dragging tubes. It has worked out great. I've caught a few each time I've tried it. It gives the fish something a little different than the traditional drop-shotting and split shots so many anglers are using. It has been especially good rocks for smallies. It might get you that final keeper.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/23/03 at 15:03:18
Quote Print Post  
Glen or Kirk, Or anybody else out there. When would you use a white spinnerbait over a (spelling) chartrious spinnerbait? when would you switch. which would you start with?  Embarrassed

Part two. My tip.
For those of you that have to keep your boat outside like I do, I tie a rope to the wench of the trailer, string it down the middle of the boat and over the top of the motor and with alil slack I wrap the rope around the scag. After I throw a tarp over the boat and tie it down with bungies and hand clamps, I touch the trim down acouple times to tighten the rope, and it makes alil tent when the rope goes tight. Walla no more puddles! V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/03 at 14:11:43
Quote Print Post  
A tip that has really helped me out, in using baitcasters is, Don't force your cast let the rod and the lure do the work. This has reduced the amount of BACKLASHES I get greatly

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/04 at 04:04:37
Quote Print Post  
VW wrote: "Glen or Kirk, Or anybody else out there. When would you use a white spinnerbait over a (spelling) chartrious spinnerbait? when would you switch. which would you start with?"

Nobody answered in several months, so I'll volunteer my opinion.  Start with something that's appropriate to the water clarity you are facing, i.e., something fairly muted for clear, vs. something really loud or black for muddy water. Another general rule is: "Start with white. If that don't work, try black".

In actual practise, 'round these parts, the water is usually clear enough to make white a good choice. I tend to like "Bleeding Shiner", white with red on the belly. Pssst! It's sorta like Rainbow Trout, too! Yes, Kevin Van Dam uses a chartreuse/double willow 3/4oz+ spinner on the Great Lakes for smallies. It might work here, but this isn't the Great Lakes. The fish in some bodies of water do have strange color preferences. Like Big Lake.

If you like to fish on a clear night with a full moon in June>August (who wouldn't?), it's about the only time (9pm>1am) I throw a spinnerbait. Throw the white one, so you can see it. The fish can find it, never worry about that.  I also use the willow/willow or willow/colorado blades, 'cause they go through the weeds (that I can't see) better. Yes, this goes against the old notion that you should use a black spinnerbait at night with a huge Colorado blade for lots of vibration. Our water's clear, the moon is full, the lake is very still, and if the sky is clear, the fish are in much the same situation as during the day...looking at the silhouette of something going over their head, and those blades are flashing. I don't think you want a lot of noise or vibration. Use the "Jimmy Houston retreive"...chunk and wind.  This works well on a certain clear lake in E. Kent. Shhhh!  Lips Sealed 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/04 at 06:39:06
Quote Print Post  
Thankyou sir...I do love my white spinnerbaits!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 03/11/04 at 14:31:18
Quote Print Post  
Geez, I totally forgot about this one.

White is what I normally throw.  If it's a really dark day, or I'm fishing during the time when the bluegill are spawning, I'll throw white/chartruese.  I also like a touch of red - but only during the pre-spawn/spawn times.

Like Steve said, white works well for night fishing.  That's what I caught my fish on at Sawyer during the night fish-in last year.

The only time I switch to black is in really dirty/murky water.  Then, black/chartruese seem to do much better.

Blades?  Twin gold Indiana blades are my choice.  They're pretty weedless, yet put out a good vibration -  A good compromise between willowleaf and Colorado blades.  However, I will use Colorado blades in cold water, or when I want a vertical presentation.  I use silver willowleaf blades on bright sunny days in clear water.

I always use a trailer, never a trailer hook.  If the bass are short-striking, it's an indication to change colors - usually blade colors.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/11/04 at 14:47:20
Quote Print Post  
As far as spinnerbugs go, all of the above are great tips and I could not add more to what Glenn has shared.  Anyway he is much more knowledgeable bug fisherman than I.  He studies them and has lots of success.  On most lakes during anytime of the year, I am throwing some combination of white and chart., always with willow leafs in gold.  In my Silver Lake days, I found that some combination with black in the skirt was more effective.  I will say that S Basser's comments about KVD hold very true.  I use a 3/4 oz brigt chart with the largest willow blades that I can find for Banks in May.  This also works well on most Smallie waters in Eastern Wa. 

Kirk

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/11/04 at 16:14:53
Quote Print Post  
Or... you guys can scrap all this good information above and do what a club member did on Lake Washington a few years back during a May tournament.

Cast, backlash, pick your backlash, and let your spinnerbait sit on the bottom. When you pick it up, there will be a fish! He won the tournament!

I wonder where ol' "Slow-Rollin'" Bob Jacobo has been lately?

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/11/04 at 23:57:17
Quote Print Post  
I didn't think there was that many secret tips left.

Tie on a floating frog for weary bass that have seen everything else. Also when throwing a tube don't hessitate to place a rattle in it especially around bushes.
Russ

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/12/04 at 05:56:37
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys.....I could have used this info 6 mo. ago  Wink but I'm sure I will use it in the very near future. I love my white spinnerbaits only because they catch me big fish...now I'm learning why they catch me fish.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/12/04 at 15:01:32
Quote Print Post  
As for the Spinnerbait issue, some of you know my use of the critters is very limited except for that fateful weekend at the May Tounament on Potholes three years ago where it was the only bait i used to win it and forever a 3/8th oz Strike King Elite with a gold willow leaf / small chrome colorado blade and a tennessee shad skirt and paint will be on one of my rods on the east side....but I have really gotten into the White and Chartreuse craze.....But as a Secret thing.....I have been known to put a cotten ball soaked with smelly jelly in a tube bait to enhance the bite....more later...slow memory! Cheesy

IP Logged

hawghunter_2017
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 03/13/04 at 05:43:09
Quote Print Post  
Larry are you sure you didnt just cut a patch from your undies and put in your tuBe Kiss

Ted

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/13/04 at 05:52:48
Quote Print Post  
Geeze Ted, not only was that below the belt...it stinks! Undecided

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo